Ajax title party delayed despite win over FC TwenteApril 30th, 2012 - 6:52 pm ICT by IANS
The Hague, April 30 (IANS) Despite a 2-1 victory over FC Twente, Ajax were unable to capture the Dutch title after the 32nd Eredivisie round.
Ajax had the upper hand in Enschede Sunday for most of the match. After Nikolay Mihaylov brought down Ajax defender Gregory van der Wiel, Ajax were awarded a penalty. Former Twente player Theo Janssen scored from the spot kick.
In the final phase of the match, Twente’s Leroy Fer equalised in the 72nd minute through a rebound from a corner. A goal by van der Wiel earned Ajax the win six minutes later.
With a win against Twente and a draw between Feyenoord and AZ Alkmaar, Ajax would have been crowned the champions. However, Otman Bakkal handed Feyenoord a 1-0 win over AZ and extended the long wait for Ajax, reported Xinhua.
Earlier Sunday, PSV Eindhoven defeated Roda JC 3-1 in Kerkrade. The Eindhoven based side outclassed the home-team and scored through Dries Mertens and Marcelo.
SC Heerenveen defeated Heracles 4-2 in Almelo. Dutch top scorer Bas Dost scored twice and lifted his season’s tally to 30 goals.
With two matches remaining, Ajax have 70 points from 32 matches, while Feyenoord are six points behind.
Title holders Ajax need a draw against VVV-Venlo to capture their 31st Eredivisie championship. If they don’t succeed Wednesday, they have a second chance in the final match Sunday at Vitesse Arnhem.
- Feyenoord secure a Champions League prelim's ticket - May 07, 2012
- Ajax close in on Dutch title - Apr 23, 2012
- Ajax capture 31st Dutch league title - May 03, 2012
- Twente crush PSV as AZ move back on top in Dutch football - Mar 05, 2012
- Dutch league match suspended due to dense fog - Nov 21, 2011
- Heracles reaches first Dutch Cup final - Mar 23, 2012
- PSV extend lead after win over Feyenoord - Feb 27, 2012
- Ajax move closer to Dutch title - Apr 16, 2012
- Pieters to miss Euro 2012 due to foot injury - May 08, 2012
- Van Marwijk drops Maduro, Emanuelson in Dutch Euro 2012 squad - May 16, 2012
- Ronald Koeman extends contract at Feyenoord - Jan 17, 2012
- AZ coach Verbeek gets one-match ban - Mar 21, 2012
- Dutch have no worries upfront, but defence vulnerable - Jun 02, 2012
- Boerrigter new face in Dutch squad, Babel makes comeback - Nov 04, 2011
- Dutch football league title becomes two-team race - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: ajax, az alkmaar, dries, dutch title, fc twente, feyenoord, final match, final phase, long wait, mertens, psv eindhoven, roda, six minutes, six points, theo janssen, top scorer, van der wiel, venlo, vitesse arnhem, xinhua