Ajax close in on Dutch titleApril 23rd, 2012 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
The Hague, April 23 (IANS) Ajax moved one step closer to their 31st Dutch League title by beating FC Groningen 2-0 in Amsterdam.
The home team played a difficult match and was heading towards a goalless first half. However, Derk Boerrigter opened the scoring in injury time. It took Ajax until the 80th minute to secure the victory Sunday. Substitute Kolbeinn Sigthorsson found the net, Xinhua reported.
AZ Alkmaar and Feyenoord both stayed six points behind the leaders by booking narrow wins against VVV-Venlo (2-1) and ADO Den Haag (2-1) respectively. Brett Holman gave AZ the lead, but after Quin Kruysen’s equalizer American striker Jozy Altidore earned AZ the win with his 15th goal of the season.
Just like AZ Feyenoord also opened the scoring just after half time at ADO Den Haag. Ruben Schaken and Guyon Fernandez scored for Feyenoord and Lex Immers produced ADO’s late consolation goal from the penalty spot.
PSV Eindhoven had a narrow escape against NEC Nijmegen 2-1. After Navarone Foor gave NEC an early lead, Jetro Willems equalized in the 68th minute and substitute Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink became the match winner in the 88th minute.
Saturday, FC Twente also had a narrow escape by beating Excelsior 1-0 in Rotterdam. Nacer Chadli handed Twente the three points in injury time. sc Heerenveen and Vitesse drew 1-1.
With three rounds remaining, Ajax are hot favorite to grab the title. Frank de Boer’s team can already capture the championship next week if Ajax beat FC Twente in Enschede and Feyenoord and AZ draw in Rotterdam.
The battle for the second place, which guarantees a place in the preliminary round of the Champions League next season, is still up for grabs. AZ and Feyenoord are on 61 points, FC Twente and PSV on 60 points and sc Heerenveen are on 58 points.
- Twente crush PSV as AZ move back on top in Dutch football - Mar 05, 2012
- Feyenoord secure a Champions League prelim's ticket - May 07, 2012
- Ajax move closer to Dutch title - Apr 16, 2012
- PSV extend lead after win over Feyenoord - Feb 27, 2012
- Ajax title party delayed despite win over FC Twente - Apr 30, 2012
- Van Marwijk drops Maduro, Emanuelson in Dutch Euro 2012 squad - May 16, 2012
- Dutch league match suspended due to dense fog - Nov 21, 2011
- Van Marwijk includes uncapped Willems, Narsingh in Euro 2012 squad - May 27, 2012
- Feyenoord sign Janmaat on free transfer - Feb 01, 2012
- Dutch football league title becomes two-team race - Mar 26, 2012
- Uncapped Narsingh and John in Dutch squad against England - Feb 24, 2012
- Pieters to miss Euro 2012 due to foot injury - May 08, 2012
- Dutch title race wide open after defeats of PSV and AZ - Feb 20, 2012
- FC Twente striker De Jong suffers ankle injury - Mar 23, 2012
- Ajax signs Schone, lures Narsingh and Moisander - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: ado den haag, brett holman, chadli, dutch league, dutch title, fc groningen, fc twente, frank de boer, guyon, injury time, jan vennegoor of hesselink, jozy altidore, narrow escape, narrow wins, nec nijmegen, sc heerenveen, schaken, vennegoor of hesselink, vvv venlo, xinhua