Air India pilots threaten indefinite strikeMarch 7th, 2012 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 7 (IANS) Upset over non-payment of salaries and other allowances for four months, Air India pilots have again threatened to go on strike from April 1, a union leader said Wednesday.
In a letter to the Director-General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) sent Tuesday, the Indian Pilots Guild (IPG) said the pilots would not operate flights till their dues were cleared.
“A large number of our members (pilots) have informed us that owing to the psychological stress that they are under and bearing in mind the safety of passengers, they will be unable to operate flights on and after April 1, until the management clears all the dues,” IPG President Jeetendra Awhad said in the letter.
He said the pilots have not been paid salaries and layover allowances from December and flying allowances from November, amounting to nearly a quarter of the total annual emoluments.
Awhad said this had caused tremendous hardships, psychological stress and embarrassment to pilots, many of whom hail from humble economic backgrounds.
“Many have taken loans for their flying training, others have commitments to their parents and children, and many have complained that banks are hounding them to repay their loans,” Awhad said.
While the pilots appreciated that Air India was in financial distress, they did not want to endanger the lives of the passengers.
- AI pilots say they are ready for talks, management is not (Second Lead) - May 12, 2012
- Court restrains Air India pilots' illegal strike (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Air India defers pilot training to stave off strike - Nov 02, 2011
- Air India senior pilots complain of stress, tough flying schedules - Jun 15, 2012
- Pilots unions fight over flying Boeing 787 Dreamliner - Nov 02, 2011
- Ajit Singh to meet Air India's executive pilots - Jun 17, 2012
- Air India pilots call off stir (Intro Roundup) - Jan 14, 2012
- Air India pilots continue strike for fifth day (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- AI's contingency plan in place, only one flight cancelled - May 16, 2012
- Air India pilots' strike enters fifth day - May 12, 2012
- Air India pilots to call off strike (Roundup) - Jul 03, 2012
- Ready to reinstate sacked pilots on case-by-case basis: Ajit Singh (Second Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Striking Air India pilots move court over non-payment of dues - Jun 12, 2012
- Passengers stranded as 40 Kingfisher flights axed (Second Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Air India pilots' strike nears end (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: air india, april 1, awhad, civil aviation, commitments, dgca, director general, economic backgrounds, embarrassment, emoluments, financial distress, four months, hardships, indefinite strike, ipg, jeetendra, parents and children, psychological stress, salaries, union leader