Air India, Jet Airways planes in near miss over Tamil NaduJune 6th, 2010 - 1:47 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 5 (IANS) A mid-air collision was averted Saturday afternoon by alert pilots as a Jet Airways and an Air India plane came “dangerously close” on the same flight path over Tamil Nadu, officials said.
Air India flight IC 671 and Jet Airways flight 9W 4758, carrying nearly 250 passengers and crew, came close to crashing into each other at a height of 17,000 feet near Trichchirapalli air space, triggering an Air Traffic Collision Avoidance siren in both the planes, the officials said.
To avoid a collision, the Jet Airways pilot pulled his aircraft up while the Air India pilot reduced his plane’s altitude, officials said. The near miss took place at 12.30 p.m.
The Air India flight was bound from Chennai to Madurai and the Jet flight was headed to Chennai from Thiruvananthapuram.
Air Traffic Control sources told IANS that lack of proper radar cover between Trichchinapalli and Madurai was one of the reasons for the incident.
Both flights landed safely at the Madurai and Chennai airports respectively, the officials added.
Sources said that when two planes’ vertical or lateral separation reduces to less than 1,000 feet, they are said to have come “dangerously close” to each other, raising the prospect of a mid-air collision.
The Directorate General of Civil Aviation has ordered a probe into the incident, the officials said.
This is the third major airline incident in last 10 days.
On June 4, the Air Traffic Control asked a Kingfisher flight to do a go-around as
it was about to land after a SpiceJet plane got stuck on the runway.
On May 27, a Jet Airways plane was asked to abort its landing at the last minute after an IndiGo aircraft entered the runway.
- Mid-air collision averted over Tamil Nadu (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2010
- Air India, Jet Airways deny reports of 'averted collision' - Jun 06, 2010
- Plane with William, Kate in runway scare - Feb 12, 2012
- Major plane accident averted in Chennai - Sep 24, 2011
- Another air disaster averted in Mumbai - Jun 04, 2010
- Close shave for Jet Airways flight - Jul 21, 2011
- Plane carrying Michelle Obama aborts landing due to serious ATC error - Apr 20, 2011
- Fireman as ATC! Tirupati airport officials to face action - Feb 03, 2012
- Mid-air collision averted in Pakistan - Apr 20, 2011
- Reports of near-misses in Delhi untrue: Airport authority - May 20, 2011
- Jet Airways flight aborts take-off - Feb 08, 2012
- Only pilots' expertise saved Qantas A380 from disaster following mid-air explosion - Dec 03, 2010
- Air India flight develops snag, passengers safe - Jun 10, 2012
- Fighter jets intercept two small planes in Obama's airspace - Aug 07, 2012
- Pakistan PM's aircraft develops mid-air snag - May 06, 2011
Tags: 9w, air india, air india flight, air space, air traffic control, civil aviation, collision avoidance, control sources, directorate general, flight ic, flight path, jet airways, jet flight, kingfisher, kingfisher flight, madurai, mid air collision, saturday afternoon, traffic collision, two planes