Air India announces fare cut up to 82 percentDecember 30th, 2008 - 4:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 30 (IANS) A day after Jet Airways reduced fares on domestic routes, state-owned operator Air India Tuesday announced fare cut up to 82 percent in at least 20 sectors, mostly on metro routes, a senior airline official said.”The new fare cut comes into effect today (Tuesday). We have cut fares on 20 sectors by up to 82 per cent. This will largely benefit passengers on metro routes,” an airline spokesperson told IANS.
India’s leading private air carrier Jet Airways Monday reduced fares on its domestic routes by up to 40 percent with immediate effect.
Another leading carrier, Kingfisher Airlines, Sunday announced fare cut from Jan 1. However, it has not announced the quantum of fare cut.
Low cost carriers are also expected to follow suit, said an industry official. The fare cuts comes in the wake of slackening demand in the post-peak season and continued decline in fuel prices.
Over the past four months, there has been a sharp decline in aviation fuel prices. While some air carriers earlier this month reduced the fuel surcharge on the ticket price by Rs.200 to Rs.400, they did not touch the base fare.
Oil companies have reduced aviation fuel prices seven times since September. The fuel is now sold at Rs.32,691.28 per kilolitre in Delhi after prices were slashed by Rs.4,208.37 in the first week of December.
- Air India slashes fares, says more cuts likely (Lead) - Dec 30, 2008
- Air India to reduce fares from Jan 1 - Dec 29, 2008
- Jet Airways, Air India announce fare cuts (Lead) - Dec 29, 2008
- Airlines unwilling to reduce fares - Dec 22, 2008
- Government rolls out plan to help domestic airlines (Roundup) - Feb 07, 2012
- Aviation stocks rally after direct jet fuel import allowed - Feb 07, 2012
- Jet, Kingfisher domestic fares up Rs.200 - Nov 06, 2009
- Jet fuel price cut by Rs.1,974 a kilolitre - Jan 31, 2012
- Jet fuel price cut by Rs.350.70 a kilolitre - Feb 16, 2012
- Aviation regulator directs airlines to rationalise fares - Jun 18, 2012
- Government approves direct jet fuel import, Air India debt plan (Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- Oil firms increase jet fuel price by 3.70 percent - Nov 30, 2011
- Jet fuel price cut by Rs.622 a kilolitre - Dec 31, 2011
- SpiceJet raises fuel surcharge by Rs.400 - Jun 18, 2009
- Kingfisher Airlines cuts fuel surcharge - Dec 06, 2008