AIR, Doordarshan staff put on par with central government employeesJanuary 29th, 2009 - 5:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 29 (IANS) The union cabinet has ended the uncertainty over the status of employees of state-owned broadcasters All India Radio (AIR) and Doordarshan with its decision Thursday to put them on par with central government staff. The decision was taken at a meeting of the cabinet presided over by External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee in the absence of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who is recuperating after a heart bypass operation.
The staff continued to be on “deemed deputation” to the Prasar Bharati Corporation, under which the broadcasters function, an official statement said. There had been uncertainty about their status since they worked in an autonomous organisation.
The staff of the broadcasting organisations had been resisting a move by the government to make them transferable to Prasar Bharati and wished to work only with AIR and Doordarshan.
“They encountered difficulties in getting facilities of CGHS (central government health scheme), general pool accommodation and admission of their children to Kendriya Vidyalayas (central schools) as they were not treated as government servants but as employees of an autonomous organisation,” the statement said.
The cabinet took the decision “to end the uncertainty”.
The statement said the employees would be covered by the pension scheme, effective since Jan 1, 2004. They would be entitled to the same pay scale as that of central government employees, but not any deputation allowance.
Prasar Bharati Corporation was constituted in November 1997 as a statutory body of the government and the two broadcasters were brought under it.
- Cabinet clears position of Prasar Bharati employees - Nov 01, 2011
- Strike hits AIR, Doordarshan operations in Orissa - Nov 23, 2010
- Rajya Sabha debates Prasar Bharati bill - Dec 08, 2011
- Strike cripples AIR, Doordarshan operations in Kerala - Nov 23, 2010
- AIR, Doordarshan operations hit as employees strike - Nov 23, 2010
- AIR, DD operations hit as employees strike work (Lead) - Nov 23, 2010
- SC asks Centre to file CBI report on suspended Prasar Bharati CEO - Apr 01, 2011
- Supreme Court asks Centre to file affidavit against Lalli - Feb 14, 2011
- Prasar Bharati approves expansion of DD's DTH platform - Sep 06, 2011
- Doordarshan, Akashvani employees defer proposed agitation - Dec 11, 2010
- Post-Lalli suspension, Prasar Bharati looks to interim set-up - Dec 22, 2010
- Doordarshan, AIR employees call off three-day strike - Dec 11, 2010
- Soni promises new roadmap for Prasar Bharti - Jan 04, 2011
- Amendments to Prasar Bharati Act, interim set-up likely (Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Shunglu panel finds Prasar Bharati contracts arbitrary, PMO warns stern action (Roundup) - Feb 01, 2011