AIIMS woman employee ends life by jumping into YamunaOctober 13th, 2008 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 13 (IANS) A 37-year-old woman employee of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) allegedly committed suicide by jumping into the Yamuna river from a flyover on the Delhi-Noida border after a quarrel with her family, the police said Monday. Media persons covering the incident were allegedly roughed up by her family members.Indu Prabha, a clerk with the hospital, drove her Maruti 800 car from her south Delhi Sadiq Nagar home towards Noida. She deliberately rammed her car twice on the railing of the DND flyover late Sunday before getting out of the car and jumping into the river, eyewitnesses said.
The flyover is constructed around 30 feet above the Yamuna.
The police said Monday evening that her body could not be fished out. Officials fear that it might have floated downstream to Uttar Pradesh due to the strong currents.
A police official quoted family members as having told them that Indu Prabha had left her home in anger. “She told them she was going to commit suicide,” he said.
The woman is survived by her husband and two children, aged 14 and 12. Her husband is an inspector with the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) and presently deployed with the home ministry.
When television channel reporters tried to speak to the family, a brawl broke out between them over some issue. Relatives of the victim reportedly held three reporters and rained blows on them.
The reporters then contacted the Deputy Commissioner of Police (southeast Delhi) Ajay Chowdhury, who asked them to file a complaint at the local police station.
However, the reporters and other staffers went to the house of Delhi Police Commissioner Y.S. Dadwal and sat outside in protest. Dadwal assured them of action and a case of robbery was registered against some of the family members.
One of the reporters in his police complaint alleged the woman’s family members had robbed him of a chain and ring.
Ajay Chowdhury said a probe into the case was underway. The family has refused to speak to the media.
- BPO employee commits suicide in Delhi - Dec 23, 2010
- 10 hurt as bus falls off DND flyway - Dec 23, 2010
- Farmer leader Tewatia arrested in Delhi after chase (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- BPO employee jumps to death from Delhi flyover (Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- BJP protests DND flyway toll hike - Feb 17, 2011
- Married woman commits suicide, in-laws booked - Jan 28, 2012
- Farmer leader Manveer Tewatia arrested in Delhi (Second Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Woman gangraped in Noida, one arrested - Apr 08, 2012
- Woman critical after jumping off Delhi flyover - Aug 01, 2012
- Dowry demand leads woman to suicide - Apr 19, 2012
- Woman jumps to death from Noida flat - Jun 20, 2012
- Noida toll bridge hike likely to be rolled back (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Woman accuses Bengal cop of misbehaving with her - May 17, 2012
- Murder accused released after 'victim' found alive - May 17, 2010
- Three Delhi cops molest woman colleague - Mar 17, 2011