AIIMS rapped for not taking action against striking doctorsMarch 6th, 2008 - 7:58 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 6 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Wednesday pulled up the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) for not taking any action till date against the doctors who struck work last year to protest the government move on quota for other backward class (OBC) students. A division bench headed by Chief Justice M.K. Sharma and Reva Khetrapal asked counsel for AIIMS to inform the court within four weeks what action the administration proposed against these resident doctors.
The next date for hearing is July 17.
The court also asked AIIMS authorities for information on the action taken on the Thorat Committee report, which indicated that students at the institute were facing caste discrimination.
The Thorat Committee recommended that a panel of students, resident doctors and faculty members be set up to examine and study social divisions on the campus, and suggest measures to remedy the situation.
Last year’s strike was called off after the court warned the doctors to go back to work or face cancellation of their licence to practice.
“It is a very shameful act by the resident doctors that despite our orders the strike has taken place. We are warning the doctors again, otherwise not only their licences will be cancelled but also their pay would be deducted if they participate in strikes,” the bench had then ruled.
- Court reserves order on strike by AIIMS doctors - Jan 19, 2011
- Air India moves court against striking pilots - May 23, 2012
- Health of citizens is wealth of nation: Court - Feb 21, 2011
- Contempt notice issued to Air India pilots (Second Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Panel to probe AIIMS suicide - Mar 06, 2012
- Notice issued to centre, Air India on pilots' plea - Jun 25, 2012
- AIIMS doctor's licence terminated for child abuse - Feb 02, 2011
- Court slams Air India stand over sacked pilots (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- AIIMS doctor's licence terminated for child abuse (Lead) - Feb 02, 2011
- No OBC reservation in minority institutions: Court - Jun 25, 2012
- Court restrains Air India pilots' illegal strike (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Air India reinstates nine sacked pilots (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Hold talks daily, court tells Air India, pilots (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- N.D. Tiwari is Shekhar's biological father, rules court (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Talk, settle dispute: Court to Air India, striking pilots (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012