AIIMS lecturer arrested for cheating students (Lead)June 1st, 2009 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, June 1 (IANS) Police Monday arrested an All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) lecturer for cheating two students appearing for the premier institute’s 2009 MBBS entrance test, by promising to provide them a copy of the “leaked” question paper for a huge amount of money.
Additional Superintendent of Police (Addl SP) Happy Guptan said Ratna Srivatava, the mother of Ankita Srivastava - one of the two students - complained to the police that Meena Agrawal, a senior lecturer in AIIMS nursing department, phoned her daughter Ankita and offered to provide her a copy of the question paper for a sum of Rs.500,000 to Rs.1,000,000 in cash.
Agrawal also offered another aspirant, Tarang Goel, with a copy of the paper for the same amount.
Guptan said Agrawal, who runs a 50 room hostel here, also published an advertisement in newspapers that any student coached by her would get a sure success in the medical entrance test and the police were also investigating this. After her claim, the two aspirants - Ankita and Tarang - paid part of the money to the accused and assured her they would pay the balance amount in instalments.
Earlier, an anonymous call was received at the Sahibabad police station informing them of the paper leakage and the lecturer was brought to the police station for questioning. However, the case was transferred to the Kavi Nagar police station as her residence came under its jurisdiction.
After her confession, the police recovered some question papers from her possession which were sent to AIIMS for verification. However, AIIMS spokesman Y.K. Gupta denied the paper provided by Agrawal was any way similar to the genuine question papers, the ASP said.
Agrawal has been arrested under section 420 (cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property) of the Indian Penal Code.
- AIIMS lecturer questioned over leak of MBBS entrance paper - Jun 01, 2009
- AIIMS exam racket busted, five arrested (Second Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- AIIMS exam racket busted, five arrested (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- AIIMS paper leak accused sent to police custody - Jan 10, 2012
- AIIMS exam racket busted, five arrested - Jan 09, 2012
- Two doctors arrested in AIIMS exam leak racket (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- 'Foolproof' steps against cheating in UP pre-medical tests - Jun 01, 2012
- 500,000 students take IIT-JEE exam across India - Apr 08, 2012
- High-tech mobiles used in AIIMS paper leak - Jan 09, 2012
- AIIMS paper leak accused sent to judicial custody - Jan 17, 2012
- Rapist tuition teacher arrested in Ghaziabad - Mar 19, 2012
- Woman doctor kills herself over failed affair - Dec 05, 2011
- Guard killed resisting robbery in Ghaziabad factory - Jan 07, 2010
- Amity students hold candlelight vigil for Dana Sangma - Apr 27, 2012
- 3 held for trying to leak SBI exam paper (Lead) - May 28, 2012