AIG sells Canadian operations for $375 millionJanuary 14th, 2009 - 9:54 am ICT by IANS
Toronto, Jan 14 (IANS) Bank of Montreal (BMO) Tuesday announced it is buying Canadian business of the troubled global insurance giant American International Group (AIG).The bank said it is acquiring the AIG Life Insurance Company of Canada (AIG Life of Canada) for $375 million in cash.
The deal will provide its clients with a wider range of investment, financial planning and insurance solutions, the Canadian bank said.
“This acquisition is a perfect extension of our existing wealth management offering and our goal to become the one-stop location for all our clients’ financial and investment needs,” BMO president and CEO Bill Downe said in a statement.
He said the acquisition of AIG Life of Canada will strengthen his bank’s financial planning, wealth and retirement offerings.
The bank CEO said, “Our clients, especially those in or near retirement, are looking for security and peace of mind.we will now be able to provide clients with the investment and tax-efficient insurance solutions they need to help them secure their lifestyle and retirement needs.”
With the acquisition, he added, the bank will also absorb 300 employees and 400,000 customers of AIG Life of Canada.
For his part, Peter McCarthy, president and CEO of AIG Life of Canada, said: “Our management team is very excited about becoming an integral part of one of Canada’s premier financial institutions.
“As part of BMO Financial Group, we look forward to serving our clients and distribution partners and building on our reputation for providing innovative insurance solutions for Canadians.”
The bank said operations of AIG Life of Canada will be integrated with its insurance operations over the next six to 12 months and named BMO Life Insurance Company.
Established in 1817, Bank of Montreal is Canada’s oldest bank, and one among the top five in the country.
- Indian stock returns as good as China's: Bank of Montreal - Jul 16, 2011
- Polaris Software acquires US firm for $20 mn - Apr 27, 2011
- New Zealand firm to manage Indian enterprises' data with CMC - Feb 11, 2012
- 'Perverse behaviour' by investors baffles economists - Aug 09, 2011
- Nucleus Software partners with Turkish firm - Jun 07, 2011
- Infosys to acquire management consultancy firm Lodestone - Sep 10, 2012
- AIG pays back $1.5 bn to US Treasury - Mar 23, 2012
- Reliance Capital pact with Nippon in areas beyond insurance - Sep 01, 2011
- Polaris Software eyes $100 mn revenue by 2016 - Aug 02, 2011
- Infosys braces to face twin challenges of clients - Jun 09, 2012
- Canadian companies on buying spree in US - Nov 28, 2009
- South African fund shows interest in Indian insurance - Sep 07, 2011
- TCS subsidiary bags $2.2 billion contract - Nov 09, 2011
- US Treasury to receive $5.75 bn from AIG stock sale - Aug 07, 2012
- Belgium bank to deploy Infosys software product - Mar 24, 2012