AIADMK announces deal with DMDK, new list of candidatesMarch 21st, 2011 - 7:12 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 21 (IANS) Tamil Nadu’s major opposition party AIADMK Monday formally announced its agreement with the DMDK, led by actor-turned-politician Vijayakant, allotting it 41 seats for the coming assembly elections.
The AIADMK also announced it own revised list of candidates for 160 constituencies.
Party general secretary and former chief minister J. Jayalalithaa will contest from the temple town Srirangam, around 330 km from Chennai, which is considered to be a safe seat for her and falls under the Tiruchirapalli Lok Sabha constituency held by the AIADMK.
In 2006 Jayalalithaa had won from Andipatti.
The AIADMK candidates will file their nominations March 24 between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m as per party directive.
The AIADMK has finalised alliances for 74 of the 234 seats with 10 parties for the April 13 elections.
Besides DMDK, the other parties in the alliance are the CPI-M (12 seats), CPI (10), MNMK (3), PT (2), SMK (2), RPI (1), FB (1), KYF (1) and AIMMK (1).
The agreement with the DMDK ended a three-day crisis Sunday that had threatened to break the AIADMK-led alliance over concerns about the hugely popular Vijayakant leaving it after Jayalalithaa’s unilateral announcement of constituencies for AIADMK candidates.
Jayalalithaa will now start her campaign tour March 24 to Tiruchirapalli, around 335 km from here.
She will return here March 30 and start out for Tuticorin, Kanyakumari and Tirunelvelli the next day.
After canvassing in various districts, the leader will return to Chennai April 9 and campaign here till April 11.
- Fissures in alliance, Jayalalithaa puts off poll campaign - Mar 18, 2011
- AIADMK candidates list out, Jayalalithaa to contest Srirangam - Mar 17, 2011
- AIADMK allies upset, exploring third front? (Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- AIADMK to announce its candidates' list Monday - Mar 20, 2011
- AIADMK allies upset over seat allotment - Mar 17, 2011
- AIADMK discusses seat sharing differences with allies - Mar 18, 2011
- AIADMK saves alliance, DMDK agrees to list - Mar 20, 2011
- AIADMK working out patch-up formula with allies (Lead) - Mar 19, 2011
- Congress, CPI name candidates in Tamil Nadu - Mar 23, 2011
- AIADMK working out patch-up formula with allies - Mar 18, 2011
- Filing of nominations in Tamil Nadu begins Saturday - Mar 18, 2011
- AIADMK signs eighth seat-sharing pacts - Mar 11, 2011
- AIADMK, CPI-M sign seat sharing pact - Mar 19, 2011
- AIADMK in seat-sharing deal with Muslim party - Feb 20, 2011
- AIADMK allots 22 seats to Left parties - Mar 14, 2011
Tags: actor turned politician, assembly elections, campaign tour, chief minister, constituencies, CPI, dmdk, general secretary, j jayalalithaa, kanyakumari, kyf, Lok Sabha, opposition party, rpi, sabha constituency, smk, srirangam, tamil nadu, temple town, tiruchirapalli