Ahmedabad blasts convicts’ sentences enhancedJanuary 24th, 2011 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, Jan 24 (IANS) The Gujarat High Court Monday enhanced the sentences of four people convicted in the May 2002 tiffin box bomb blasts in Ahmedabad from ten years jail to life imprisonment, while the fifth was absolved of all charges. A division bench of Justice Jayant Patel and Justice H.B. Antani Monday allowed the state’s appeal for enhancement of sentencing of Anas Machiswala, Kalim Karimi, Habib Hawa and Hanif Theliwala. It, however, acquitted Maulvi Ahmed Hussain of all charges.
A special Prevention Of Terrorism Act (POTA) court had sentenced the five to ten years’ imprisonment and Rs.5,000 fine on May 12, 2006.
Over a dozen people were injured in the serial bomb blasts that took place in five buses in the city May 29, 2002, soon after the post-Godhra riots. As many as 29 people were arrested in the case, but four were later discharged and 17 put on trial. Of the 17, 12 were acquitted.
- Two 1993 Jaipur blast accused jailed - Apr 24, 2012
- BJP lawmaker, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya killings - Aug 31, 2012
- Death for three confirmed in 2003 Mumbai blasts case (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Godhra train carnage: Hearing put off for two months - Apr 06, 2011
- Death sought for Godhra train burning convicts (Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- Death for three confirmed in 2003 Mumbai blasts case - Feb 10, 2012
- List of those sentenced in Godhra case - Mar 01, 2011
- 2003 Mumbai twin blasts verdict Dec 12 - Nov 12, 2011
- Godhra verdict: Ahmedabad court convicts 31, acquits 63 (Second Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- 31 convicted in Godhra train burning, sentencing Friday (Third Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- 2003 Mumbai blasts: Ruling on three death penalties put off (Lead) - Dec 12, 2011
- BJP legislator, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya carnage (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Godhra sentencing based on dubious evidence: Swami Agnivesh - Mar 01, 2011
- Godhra case should be re-investigated: Prashant Bhushan - Mar 01, 2011
- 31 convicted, 63 acquitted for Godhra train burning (Roundup) - Feb 22, 2011
Tags: bomb blasts, buses, convicts, division bench, enhancement, gujarat high court, habib, hanif, hawa, hussain, jan 24, jayant patel, karimi, life imprisonment, pota, prevention of terrorism, riots, sentences, terrorism act, tiffin