Ahmedabad blasts: Bail pleas of three accused rejected (Lead)

August 8th, 2011 - 9:46 pm ICT by IANS  

Ahmedabad, Aug 8 (IANS) The bail applications of three accused in the 2008 Ahmedabad serial blasts case were Monday rejected by a court here.

Twenty synchronised blasts rocked the city in Gujarat July 26, 2008, in which 57 people were killed and hundreds injured.

Additional Sessions Judge B.J. Dhandha rejected the bail applications of Ummar Kabira, Naved Kadri and Salim Sipahi, saying that the charges against them, including murder and sedition, were grave.

The order on the bail plea of another accused, Hasib Raza, is expected Wednesday, said public prosecutor Amit Patel.

The court Aug 6 reserved its decision on the bail plea of all the four accused.

The prosecution opposed their bail plea on the ground that granting them bail would affect the case.

“No material evidence had been projected against the bail applicants and they have not done any wrongful act, they are not even members of the Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI), so the bail applications were filed by us,” said advocate A.N. Alvi, representing Kabira, Kadri and Sipahi.

The proceedings were held through video conference between the Sabarmati jail here and the court.

Out of the 95 accused in the case, charges have been framed against 62. The others, including alleged masterminds Iqbal and Riyaz Bhatkal, Abdus Subhan alias Tauqeer and Amir Raza Khan, are yet untraced and on the run.

The 62 accused belong to 11 states and were arrested from different places.

Related Stories

Posted in Uncategorized |

Subscribe