Ahmadinejad seeks aternative for ‘outdated’ UNAugust 11th, 2008 - 11:16 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Aug 11 (DPA) Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Monday called for an alternative world forum on par with the UN, which is “outdated” and fully dominated by the US, the official IRNA news agency reported. “The United Nations Security Council can no longer settle international conflicts and challenges in a fair way and just serves the interests of world powers,” Ahmadinejad said during a meeting with his visiting Algerian counterpart Abdelaziz Bouteflika.
“Therefore, we should look for alternatives to manage world affairs,” the Iranian leader said, underlining the possible roles of the Islamic country and Algeria in the new world order.
Referring to the US dominance in the UN policy making, Ahmadinejad said: “The UN Security Council is now like a tool in the hands of the US.”
“The US and other big powers should save their face in the UN Security Council instead of seeking to halt Iran’s peaceful nuclear activities,” he said, referring to the pressure being exerted on Iran to halt its controversial nuclear activities.
“Despite all these threats and sanctions, the Iranian nation is alive and dynamic because these powers are not able to bring this great nation to its knees,” he said.
During the meeting, the two presidents also explored grounds for expansion of mutual cooperation at regional and international levels.
“Iran and Algeria enjoy deeply rooted ties,” said the Iranian president, adding that the two countries have many things in common with regards to regional and international issues.
The Algerian president, for his part, thanked for the warm welcome and hospitality accorded to him and said that his country was determined to broaden all-out ties with Iran.
“We should make use of all existing capabilities of Islamic countries to dealing with regional and international issues and spare no effort to help restore peace and stability to Muslim countries,” Bouteflika said referring to existing crisis in the region and in the Islamic world.
- Iran to announce new 'big' nuclear achievements - Feb 11, 2012
- Pakistan won't help US attack Iran: Zardari - Feb 17, 2012
- Iran not to pursue n-bomb production - May 31, 2012
- European parliament urges Russia, China to back Iran sanctions - Feb 03, 2012
- UAE, Algeria sign cooperation agreement - Oct 17, 2010
- Algeria to lift 19-year state of emergency - Feb 23, 2011
- US renews 1979 sanctions against Iran - Nov 08, 2011
- Hillary Clinton to go on four-nation trip - Feb 22, 2012
- Iran to send man into space by 2019 - Jul 24, 2010
- Iran talks resume in Baghdad - May 24, 2012
- No more negotiations if nuclear agreement rejected: Ahmadinejad - May 26, 2010
- President Ahmadinejad says Iran has become a nuclear state - Dec 29, 2010
- Iran ready to make uranium exchange deal (Lead) - Feb 03, 2010
- US imposes sanctions over 50 Iranian entities - Jul 13, 2012
- Iran not to retreat an iota from its rights - May 12, 2012