Ahead of Zardari visit, Ajmer’s khadims remember BenazirApril 8th, 2012 - 12:11 pm ICT by IANS
Ajmer, April 8 (IANS) When Syed Iqbal Kaptan helps Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari perform ‘ziyarat’ (prayer) at the dargah of Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti, the memories of his slain wife and former prime minister Benazir Bhutto, who had visited the shrine in 2005, will come back to him.
“There will be something amiss this time as she (Bhutto) is not there anymore. However, she will always be in our memory. We still have her memories of her coming to the shrine and offering prayers,” Kaptan told IANS.
Kaptan is one of the ‘khadims’ (caretakers) at the shrine.
“I still remember her when she came here in 2005 with Zardari and spent some time and offered prayers. She visited the shrine thrice and her last visit was in 2005,” Kaptan told IANS.
“She prayed for the cordial and harmonious relationship between the two countries,” said Kaptan.
According to another khadim, Bhutto who was then living in exile, seemed to be longing to return to Pakistan.
“I remember her saying that she wanted to return to her motherland,” the khadim, in his late 20s, told IANS.
Natik Chisti, who will assist Kaptan, expressed grief over Bhutto’s assassination Dec 27, 2007.
“This shrine is the symbol of peace and harmony. Sufisim can be the bridge between the people of two countries. It says love towards all and malice towards none,” said Natik Chisti.
(Gaurav Sharma can be contacted at email@example.com)
- 'Bilawal is like Rahul Gandhi' - Apr 08, 2012
- Zardari prays at Ajmer dargah, donates $1mn (Lead) - Apr 08, 2012
- Precious gifts, special prayers for Zardaris at Ajmer shrine (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Ajmer shrine authorities mum on Zardari visit - Apr 03, 2012
- Silver rings, bracelets for the Zardaris at Ajmer shrine - Apr 07, 2012
- Zardari donation will be for 'noble causes': Ajmer dargah (With Image) - Apr 09, 2012
- Ajmer agog with impending Zardari visit - Apr 08, 2012
- Zardari prays at Ajmer Sharif, donates $ 1m - Apr 08, 2012
- The journey to Ajmer Sharif - from Akbar to Zardari - Apr 05, 2012
- Zardari fourth Pakistani leader to visit Ajmer - Apr 03, 2012
- Tight security in place in Delhi, Ajmer for Zardari visit - Apr 07, 2012
- Keep windows shut, shops closed: Ajmer residents told - Apr 08, 2012
- Bangladesh PM prays at Ajmer shrine - Jan 13, 2010
- Ajmer shrine finally receives Zardari's $1 mn donation - Aug 18, 2012
- Send Chisty to Pakistan, Zardari tells Manmohan - Apr 14, 2012
Tags: asif ali, benazir bhutto, caretakers, chisti, dargah, former prime minister, grief, harmonious relationship, iqbal, kaptan, khadim, living in exile, malice towards none, memories, moinuddin chishti, motherland, peace and harmony, prayers, sufisim, symbol of peace