Ahead of Obama meeting, India notifies N-liability rulesNovember 17th, 2011 - 12:02 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 16 (IANS) Ahead of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s meeting with US President Barack Obama in Bali, the government Wednesday notified the implementation rules for the civil nuclear liability law, setting the stage for the meeting between the two leaders.
The rules relating to Civil Liability for Nuclear Damage Act provides the nuclear plant operator the right to recourse for the period for which the supplier of equipment has taken liability for patent or latent defects or sub-standard services under a contract.
According to the rules, an operator’s claim will in no case exceed the actual amount of compensation paid by him up to the date of filing such claim.
The US has made it clear that India’s civil nuclear liability law will have to be harmonised with international conventions and the current regime imposed a heavy burden on the operators of nuclear plants in India.
On his way back from the Maldives, Manmohan Singh last week said that the government will place rules and procedures relating to the civil nuclear liability regime in the forthcoming winter session of parliament that begins Nov 22.
Manmohan Singh and Obama will meet on the margins of the 18-nation East Asia Summit in Bali Friday. They are expected to give a push to the their nuclear deal that has languished due to Washington’s apprehensions about India’s civil nuclear liability regime which American nuclear companies find onerous.
They will also discuss a wide spectrum of regional and international issues, Sanjay Singh, secretary (east) in the external affairs ministry told reporters here.
This will be the first meeting between the two leaders since Obama came on a state visit to India in November last year.
Terrorism emanating from Pakistan and Afghanistan will also figure in the discussions.
They will also discuss a cluster of international issues, including the festering Eurozone crisis, the East Asia regional architecture and climate change.
- N-liability: India will work within its own laws - Nov 17, 2011
- US seeks level playing field for its nuclear firms - Nov 22, 2011
- Mannmohan, Obama to meet in Bali Friday, n-deal on agenda - Nov 16, 2011
- Ahead of Obama meeting, PM says n-liability rules soon - Nov 13, 2011
- Manmohan heads East to Bali and Singapore - Nov 16, 2011
- Manmohan to meet Obama amid N-liability row (Roundup) - Nov 17, 2011
- US studying India's new nuclear liability rules - Nov 18, 2011
- India, US to iron out n-liability irritants - Dec 10, 2011
- India, France to discuss eurozone crisis, AfPak, n-deal - Oct 19, 2011
- N-deal: India to provide US firms level playing field - Feb 07, 2012
- India, France to hold talks; n-deal on agenda - Oct 13, 2011
- US presses India for nuclear level playing field - Dec 13, 2011
- CPI-M protests dilution of nuke liability law - Nov 17, 2011
- PM meets Obama, says N-liability within framework of law - Nov 18, 2011
- India, US iron out n-liability issue, discuss Af-Pak - Dec 13, 2011