Ahead of march, another separatist leader held in KashmirOctober 6th, 2008 - 1:18 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Oct 6 (IANS) Senior separatist leader Maulana Showkat Ahmad Shah, chief of the Jameet-e-Ahle Hadis, was arrested Monday ahead of a separatist march in this Jammu and Kashmir summer capital. Almost all senior separatist leaders — except hardline leader of the Hurriyat Conference Syed Ali Geelani, who is admitted in a local hospital — are under house arrest and curfew has been imposed throughout the valley in a bid to stop the march to the city centre Lal Chowk.
Shah is a member of the separatist joint coordination committee that has called for the march.
The committee was constituted by both the moderate and hardline factions of the Hurriyat Conference in the wake of the alleged economic blockade of the valley by Hindu protesters in Jammu against the revocation of the land allotment order to the Amarnath shrine board.
On Sep 23, unidentified assailants had carried out a grenade explosion at Shah’s house in the city’s Lal Bazaar residential area.
Nobody was injured though the impact of the explosion led to windowpanes of Shah’s house being smashed.
- Srinagar shuts to protest religious leader's killing - Apr 09, 2011
- Hardline Hurriyat leader may be shifted to Jammu jail - Oct 19, 2010
- Kashmiri separatist leaders under house arrest - Aug 11, 2011
- Shabir Shah arrested, Mirwaiz free to move around (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- No newspapers in curfew-bound Kashmir Valley - Oct 06, 2008
- Geelani placed under house arrest in Srinagar - Mar 04, 2011
- Curfew imposed in four districts of J-K - Oct 27, 2010
- Geelani under house arrest - Jun 10, 2011
- Separatist leaders put under house arrest in Srinagar - Jul 27, 2012
- Thousands join funeral of slain Kashmiri religious leader - Apr 08, 2011
- Separatist leaders under house arrest in Srinagar - Aug 02, 2011
- Maulana opposed to stone throwing killed in Srinagar (Third Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- Geelani, Shabir Shah placed under house arrest - Jul 29, 2011
- Kashmir Valley residents despondent, confused after cleric's assassination - Apr 09, 2011
- Shutdown in Kashmir to protest curbs on Geelani in Delhi - Feb 22, 2011