Ahead of Holi, Delhi Police cracks down on drunk drivingMarch 6th, 2012 - 7:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 6 (IANS) Continuing its crackdown on drunk driving in the capital, Delhi Police (Traffic) said Tuesday that 732 drivers were fined in five days till Monday - ahead of Holi Thursday.
According to a message posted by Joint commissioner of Police (Traffic) Satyendra Garg on the force’s Facebook page which has over a lakh followers, 147 people were prosecuted for drunk driving Monday.
“732 drunk drivers hauled up in five days. Good build up to disciplining drunk drivers before Holi. The way things are going catching 1,000 drunk drivers looks possible before Holi,” posted Garg.
“Is there any surprise that every year on Holi anywhere between 10 and 22 have been killed in road accidents since 2000?” added Garg wondering whether it was ‘carelessness’ or a ’sort of death wish’ that people indulged in drunk driving and overspeeding leading to accidents and deaths.
The drive is an effort towards discouraging Delhiites from indulging in drunken driving and overspeeding on Holi.
Garg had Monday said that the drive would continue after the festival too.
- Holi revellers warned against breaking traffic rules - Mar 19, 2011
- 181 more prosecuted for drunk driving - Mar 10, 2012
- Six people killed in accidents on Holi (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Delhi drive: 543 commercial vehicles prosecuted - Jul 13, 2011
- Delhi Police anti-drinking drive to continue after Holi - Mar 05, 2012
- Delhi Police warns against drunk driving on Holi - Mar 04, 2012
- We'll soon free city of dangerous drivers: Delhi Police - Mar 22, 2012
- Senior Delhi cop praises Ronit Roy - Oct 28, 2011
- 777 people fined for drunk driving - Mar 08, 2012
- Holi claims seven lives on Delhi roads - Mar 09, 2012
- Delhi Police gear up to tackle Holi hooliganism - Mar 19, 2011
- Drunken driving top road killer: Report - Jul 31, 2012
- 86 rogue bikers penalised in Delhi - May 14, 2012
- 8,000 fined for Holi traffic violations - Mar 21, 2011
- No mixing drinking and driving, revellers warned - Dec 31, 2011
Tags: capital delhi, carelessness, commissioner of police, crackdown, cracks, deaths, delhi police, drunk drivers, drunk driving, facebook, followers, garg, holi, lakh, New Delhi, police traffic, road accidents, surprise