Agricultural land flooded in PunjabJuly 9th, 2011 - 6:29 pm ICT by IANS
Fazilka (Punjab), July 9 (IANS) Heavy rainfall in parts of Punjab has resulted in breaching of river embankments at various places and an alarming rise in the water level of river Satluj Saturday, an official said.
Several acres of agricultural land was inundated near Fazilka town, in Ferozepur district, said an irrigation department official.
“We have reports that hundreds of acres of agricultural land has been flooded near Fazilka. Besides, one village is also flooded in this area. Incessant rainfall, during the last 12 hours, has raised the water level at an alarming pace in Satluj river,” he said.
“We are evaluating the situation and instructions have been issued to district deputy commissioner and police to make rescue arrangements,” he added.
In the neighbouring state Haryana, water level in Yamuna river has also increased in the last 24 hours, posing a flood threat to the adjoining areas.
Met officials predicted heavy to very heavy rainfall in most parts of Punjab and Haryana in the coming days.
In July last year, various districts of Punjab and Haryana were flooded due to heavy showers. Several acres of agricultural land was submerged and over 30 people lost their lives.
- Villages inundated in Haryana as Yamuna overflows banks (Second Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Flood threat looms over border villages in Punjab - Aug 28, 2010
- Haryana battling floods, releases more water in Yamuna (Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Farm land inundated in Haryana's Yamunanagar - Jul 15, 2011
- Floods threaten large swathes of north India (Roundup) - Aug 25, 2010
- Floods in Ferozepur, crops damaged - Jul 24, 2010
- Punjab, Haryana on alert as flood threat looms (Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- Flood threat over Punjab, Haryana towns (Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- Himachal to get moderate to mild rains - Aug 26, 2010
- Floods wreak havoc in Ferozepur, ravage crops - Sep 27, 2010
- Rivulets overflow in Haryana's Yamunanagar, villages submerged - Aug 01, 2010
- Himachal rivers may abate, ease Punjab, Haryana floods - Sep 10, 2010
- Rescue work on in Punjab, Haryana to plug breaches - Jul 12, 2010
- Haryana calls in army even as floodwater recedes (Lead) - Sep 22, 2010
- Punjab, Haryana villages flooded as rivers rise alarmingly - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: agricultural land, alarming pace, alarming rise, deputy commissioner, district deputy, districts of punjab, fazilka, flood threat, irrigation department, neighbouring state, rainfall, river embankments, showers, water level, yamuna river