Agra woman dies while escaping from monkeysJanuary 20th, 2009 - 5:31 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Jan 20 (IANS) A young housewife died when she fell off the terrace of a three-storey building here after being attacked by monkeys but a baby she was holding had a miraculous escape.The incident took place Monday evening in New Agra locality when the woman was with her two-month-old child. The woman succumbed to her injuries on way to the hospital, officials said Tuesday.
The incident happened 10 days after a student fell from a terrace and died after a monkeyh attack.
Not just Agra residents, foreign tourists have also suffered due to the monkeys in areas close to the Taj Mahal.
Municipal Commissioner Anand Vardhan told IANS: “We will soon launch a campaign against stray animals in the city.”
The animal husbandry department estimates there could be more than 25,000 monkeys in Agra. An NGO claims the number is much more.
The monkeys are reportedly becoming violent because they are not getting enough food in Agra, say some animal activists.
- Agra battles stray dogs - Jan 22, 2012
- Tourist dies of heat-stroke at Taj Mahal - Jul 02, 2012
- Anger, concern after dog bites at Fatehpuri Sikri (Lead) - Mar 24, 2011
- Call to protect the Taj 'building' in Pakistan - Aug 05, 2011
- Mad dog bites foreign tourists at Fatehpur Sikri - Mar 24, 2011
- Heavy showers clean up Taj Mahal - Jun 09, 2011
- Agra skies ready for pigeon flying contests - Dec 22, 2010
- One dead, 12 hurt in Pakistan building collapse - Mar 24, 2012
- Miraculous escape for four after car falls off flyover - Nov 22, 2011
- Heavy rains lash Agra - Jul 28, 2011
- Rain ushers in 2012 in Agra - Jan 01, 2012
- Agra monkeys have the last laugh - Feb 10, 2009
- Taj Mahal finally gets an ambulance - Dec 02, 2010
- Why Taj city is raising a stink - Nov 22, 2011
- Leopard strikes again in Guwahati - Jan 20, 2012