Agra trader freed 11 days after kidnappingDecember 31st, 2008 - 11:14 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Dec 31 (IANS) The Agra police Wednesday secured the release of a cement dealer, who was kidnapped 11 days ago, after a shootout in which a kidnapper was killed and two police officers were injured. Amit Agarwal was kidnapped Dec 20 and police teams had searched for him in Mathura district, Bharatpur district in Rajasthan and the Chambal ravines in Dholpur district, police said.
The kidnappers’ gang was traced after its leader rang up the trader’s family to demand a ransom of Rs.10 million (Rs.1 crore) and later reduced it to Rs.5 million.
Police said Agarwal was tortured and harassed to pressure him to ask his family to arrange for the money.
Senior superintendent of police Prem Prakash told IANS that Agarwal was freed after a shootout in Shastripuram area, in which two policemen were hurt and a gangster was killed.
- Dreaded Chambal dacoit killed in shootout - Mar 05, 2012
- Six die in botched Pakistan hostage rescue attempt - Dec 30, 2011
- Kidnapped chess player's son released - Dec 31, 2009
- Two Tamil Nadu businessmen held captive near Agra? - Jan 13, 2011
- Abducted Pakistani boy strangled to death - Mar 18, 2012
- Bihar student's kidnappers demand Rs.10 mn ransom - Mar 01, 2012
- Kidnapped Andhra schoolboy found murdered - Apr 20, 2012
- Delhi policemen arrested in UP for kidnapping engineer - Aug 08, 2012
- Ransom demand for Indian kidnapped in South Africa reduced - Dec 15, 2010
- Abductors demand Rs.20 lakh to release Bihar student - Jun 30, 2012
- Police nab kidnappers of industrialist, recover money - Oct 13, 2011
- Four held for abducting Class 1 boy - Apr 29, 2011
- Chinese police kill seven kidnappers, free hostages - Dec 29, 2011
- Ex-soldier scripts kidnap of son for ransom - Jul 02, 2012
- Abducted student released after 15 days - Jul 08, 2012