Agra set for mega Mayawati rallyFebruary 21st, 2012 - 12:40 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Feb 21 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati is set to hold a mega rally in Agra Tuesday, one of the biggest during the seven-phased assembly elections.
People from distant places have already started inching towards the Kothi Meena Bazar ground in the Shah Ganj area in a dazzling display of power and influence in the Dalit capital of northern India.
“More than what she says, it will be the turnout that will be demonstrative of her hold on the voters of the party,” said activist Naresh Paras about Mayawati, who is also the chief of the ruling Bahujan Samaj Party that champions the cause of Dalits.
Preparations have been going on for the past three days with stage and sound engineers from Lucknow specially summoned to execute the event in style.
Agra’s traffic schedule has been changed for the day with heavy vehicles being diverted from the city’s life line, the Mahatma Gandhi Road. A helipad close to the stage is ready and the whole ground gives the impression of a blue ocean with banners, flags and cut-outs.
Agra goes to polls Feb 28 in the penultimate round of the polls. All parties are now totally concentrating on western Uttar Pradesh, which could decide who will rule the state.
The Congress held road shows with actors Raveena Tandon and Sanjay Dutt Monday evening. Samajwadi Party’s Akhilesh Yadav, Mulayam Singh Yadav and Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) chief Ajit Singh are scheduled to address a series of meetings in the next few days, intensifying campaigning.
The rallies of the BJP and the joint rally of the Congress and RLD in the past week have been rather unimpressive in terms of crowd mobilisation.
- Penultimate round of UP polls on Tuesday - Feb 27, 2012
- Dalit land remains loyal to Mayawati - Mar 06, 2012
- I hold master key to power, thunders Mayawati (Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- We will do better than 2007: Mayawati - Feb 19, 2012
- Vote Congress to transform UP, says Rahul Gandhi - Feb 14, 2012
- Elections 2012: UP poll battle begins Wednesday - Feb 06, 2012
- Rahul-Ajit combo try to whip up magic in Meerut (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Mulayam will bring back 'gunda raj': Mayawati - Feb 19, 2012
- Forced land acquisition will be Mayawati's Waterloo: Jayant Chaudhary (Interview) - Feb 27, 2012
- Congress's Muslim card, Ajit Singh's Jat clout on test in Tuesday's poll (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Hung assembly, Samajwadi Party to be largest party: Exit polls (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Rahul spares none -- Mayawati, Mulayam, BJP - Feb 23, 2012
- Rahul, Ajit Singh's joint rally at Meerut Thursday - Feb 01, 2012
- Ajit Singh meets PM over farmers agitation - May 10, 2011
- RLD-Congress team can replace Mayawati: Ajit Singh - Dec 18, 2011
Tags: ajit singh, akhilesh yadav, assembly elections, bjp, blue ocean, chief minister, cut outs, dazzling display, distant places, heavy vehicles, kothi, mahatma gandhi road, mulayam singh yadav, northern india, paras, power and influence, raveena tandon, rld, sanjay dutt, sound engineers