Agra MP demands expert investigations for Taj MahalOctober 15th, 2011 - 10:44 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Oct 15 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) Lok Sabha member from Agra Ram Shankar Katheria Saturday demanded proper and scientific investigations by experts to reassure the people that the world heritage monument Taj Mahal’s foundation was fine.
Two weeks ago, Katheria was quoted by London’s Daily Mail as saying: “Taj would collapse in five years.” This triggered an uproar and conservationists expressed concern over the health of the 17th century monument.
Welcoming the Supreme Court’s suo moto cognizance of the alarming media reports, he told mediapersons that the reports submitted in the past by several organisations, including the National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI,) were not clear and left many questions unanswered.
Katheria said the Yamuna river was a critical component of the Taj Mahal complex and a river without water could only endanger the safety of the monument.
He demanded that the artificial park developed by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) between the river and the foundation of the Taj Mahal should be urgently cleared and dismantled to allow the river water to flow close to the structure, as it was some years ago.
A retired ASI official had said requesting anonymity: “Water in the river is an essential pre-requisite to maintain the massive foundation that supports a complex system of wells, arches and wooden spoked wheels. Dry ambience could fragment and disintegrate the sal wood.”
- Will the Taj collapse in five years? - Oct 09, 2011
- Taj in real danger from dry polluted Yamuna (Lead, correcting name in last para) - Mar 05, 2011
- Taj in real danger from dry, polluted Yamuna - Mar 05, 2011
- A park between Yamuna and Taj is eyesore to conservationists (With Image) - Oct 15, 2010
- Restore Yamuna's health to protect Taj: Agra MP - Nov 27, 2011
- Will the Taj turn blue tonight? - Nov 13, 2011
- Taj in danger from dry Yamuna, delegation tells president - Mar 24, 2011
- Taj battles man and nature for survival - May 16, 2011
- Heritage week on, but it doesn't show in Taj city - Nov 22, 2010
- Chopper over Taj causes flutter, ASI files complaint - Dec 16, 2011
- Tourists feel cheated on Taj lighting event - Nov 13, 2011
- Human load is a growing threat to Taj Mahal - Jul 11, 2010
- Taj city delegation meets president - Jul 26, 2010
- Projects to save Agra monuments back on track - Mar 22, 2011
- Agra's dilemma over the dead - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: agra, archaeological survey of india, bharatiya janata party, bjp, cognizance, complex system, conservationists, critical component, daily mail, engineering research institute, environmental engineering research, lok sabha member, neeri, river water, shankar, spoked wheels, taj mahal, uproar, world heritage monument, yamuna river