Agra cops lose weight, catch criminalsJune 17th, 2008 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, June 17 (IANS) The directive from Agra’s new police chief to his men was simple - lose weight, catch criminals. And the results have been encouraging. Senior superintendent of police Raghuvir Lal ensured that policemen go on a marathon run so that they lose a few pounds of fat that had accumulated around their waists.
Two days ago, over 150 cops in four different teams combed all the “criminal havens” on the periphery of the city to round up dozens of suspects.
On Monday, acting on a tip-off, the police unearthed illegal arms factories which were supplying locally-made pistols.
Seven people were nabbed and expensive equipment, semi-finished arms and welding rods were seized by the police.
The factories, located in Transport Nagar and New Agra area, were engaged in manufacturing arms and had furnaces, drilling machines and welding plants.
A police official said they were on the job since a week ago when two people were arrested from Paliwal Park while negotiating a deal for Chinese pistols.
“Agra appears to have become the hub of illegal arms trade with links in many cities,” said a senior official.
- Illegal arms factory unearthed, three held - Dec 14, 2010
- Farmer, two sons held for killing daughter - Nov 29, 2011
- Four gun-runners held in Jalandhar, weapons seized - May 25, 2012
- Three arrested, 17 pistols recovered in Noida - Sep 22, 2010
- Arms, explosives seized from Pune businessman - Sep 18, 2011
- 40 illegal firearms seized, three held in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 22, 2011
- Dacoit gang busted, six arrested - Apr 23, 2011
- Illegal arms factory busted in Meerut - Jan 16, 2011
- Two illegal arms factories unearthed - Dec 18, 2010
- Four illegal arms suppliers held in Ranchi - May 23, 2011
- Illegal arms factory busted, three held in Haryana - Jul 20, 2011
- Illegal trade of small arms, guns threatens Kathmandu: Police - Sep 08, 2012
- Woman, paramour arrested for gun-running in Delhi - Jun 13, 2011
- Four held for running illegal firearms racket - Mar 18, 2011
- Wanted man lynched by mob near Gurgaon - Aug 20, 2012