Agni-IV, C-130J, IAF woman officer among firsts at R-DayJanuary 26th, 2012 - 2:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 26 (IANS) The latest nuclear capable Agni-IV missile, its C-130J special operations plane, and a woman officer leading the IAF unit on Rajpath were among the firsts at the 63rd Republic Day parade Thursday.
Agni-IV, successfully tested in November 2011, was on display as part of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) tableau.
A potent and technologically advanced arsenal, Agni-IV, which can hit targets 3,500 km away, adds a new dimension to the country’s capabilities in strategic deterrence.
The DRDO also showcased the new tactical battlefield support high-speed missile Prahaar and the medium altitude long endurance unmanned aerial vehicle Rustom-I.
Indian Air Force’s (IAF) latest acquisition, the US Lockheed Martin C-130J transport plane, made its debut at the parade.
Three C-130Js were part of the IAF’s 29 aircraft fly past, including three Su-30MKIs and MiG-29s.
India bought six C-130Js from the US for over $1 billion.
Ft. Lt. Sneha Shekhawat made history when she led the IAF contingent down Rajpath, becoming the first woman officer to do so.
Shekhawat, from Sikar in Rajasthan, flies non-combat transport planes like the Avro. She was joined by three other women officers to march ahead of the 144-men contingent.
The other women are Flying Officer Anupam Chaudhary, who flies Chetak and Cheetah helicopters, Flying Officer Pooja Negi and Flying Officer Hena Pore, both from IAF accounts branch.
- India's Agni-IV n-capable missile showcased - Jan 26, 2012
- Woman officer leads IAF contingent - Jan 26, 2012
- C-130J makes debut at Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- 'Nuclear-capable Agni-V to be tested soon' - Jan 15, 2012
- 5,000-km Agni-V missile test in February - Nov 16, 2011
- Agni-IV production by 2014 - Nov 16, 2011
- 'Agni-IV better than Pakistan's missile, among world's best' - Nov 16, 2011
- India tests Agni-IV missile with high accuracy - Nov 15, 2011
- Defence modernisation: Critical deals materialised, others faced time overruns (2011 in retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
- 'Rocket Woman' propels India's missile mission - Nov 21, 2011
- India tests Agni-III missile (Second Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- Celebration and introspection... India goes tricolour on 63rd R-Day (Roundup) - Jan 26, 2012
- India creates history, tests 5,000 km Agni-V missile (Second Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- India not in arms race: DRDO chief - Nov 16, 2011
- Agni-V test in a fortnight: DRDO chief - Mar 31, 2012