‘Agni-IV better than Pakistan’s missile, among world’s best’November 16th, 2011 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 16 (IANS) The Agni-IV, India’s latest strategic nuclear-capable missile, is among the world’s best and better than that of Pakistan’s missiles, V.K. Saraswat head of its developer, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), said here Wednesday.
“I have no doubt that Agni-IV compares with what is available in its class of missiles like the Pershing (US medium range ballistic missile),” Saraswat said at a press conference when asked if India can now say its missile technology is superior to that of Pakistan.
“If I am comparing Agni-IV with Pershing-I or Pershing-II missiles in terms of technology…I am talking in terms of technology, not in terms of range, as Pershing missiles have higher range…it meets global standards,” he said, to stress the point.
“Whether our missiles vis-a-vis our adversaries, it meets the Pershing standards or not, that you have to find out,” he said in response to a comparison with Pakistan’s ballistic missile programme.
“As far as I am concerned, we have state-of-the-art ballistic missiles,” he added.
Agni-IV, a 3,500-km range strategic missile, was successfully tested by India Tuesday.
Pakistan’s ballistic missile programme has Gauri and Shaheen medium range and intermediate range ballistic missiles in its arsenal. It is believed that Pakistan’s missile programme borrowed heavily from China and North Korea to build its technology, particular for long-range missiles.
- No cap on Agni missile project: India - Apr 20, 2012
- 5,000-km Agni-V missile propels India into elite club (Afternoon Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- India tests Agni-IV missile with high accuracy - Nov 15, 2011
- India's Agni-IV n-capable missile showcased - Jan 26, 2012
- 5,000-km Agni-V missile test in February - Nov 16, 2011
- India creates history, tests 5,000 km Agni-V missile (Second Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- 'Nuclear-capable Agni-V to be tested soon' - Jan 15, 2012
- Agni-IV production by 2014 - Nov 16, 2011
- India not in arms race: DRDO chief - Nov 16, 2011
- N-capable missiles in India's arsenal [To go with India test-fires 5,000 km Agni-V missile, China cautious (Roundup) - Apr 19, 2012
- India test-fires 5,000 km Agni-V missile, China cautious (Roundup) - Apr 19, 2012
- Agni-V test in a fortnight: DRDO chief - Mar 31, 2012
- Pakistan tests nuclear-capable missile (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- India tests Agni-IV n-missile over full range (Third Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- 'Rocket Woman' propels India's missile mission - Nov 21, 2011
Tags: adversaries, agni, capable missile, defence research, development organisation, drdo, global standards, missile technology, New Delhi, no doubt, north korea, pakistan, pershing missiles, range ballistic missile, range ballistic missiles, range missiles, research and development, saraswat, state of the art, strategic missile