Age fails to dampen actress Zohra Sehgal’s spiritMay 16th, 2008 - 4:02 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 16 (IANS) “Arre aa rahi hoon. Itni der tak baitthaye rakha (I am coming! I’ve been made to sit for so long),” actress Zohra Sehgal said loudly during a programme here to felicitate her as the ‘Laadli of the century’ in recognition of her contribution to films and theatre. The United Nations Population Fund (UNPF)-Laadli Media Awards were held here late Thursday. The event was organised to acknowledge and award journalists, writers, film makers and artistes who have worked towards gender sensitisation to save the girl child.
Zohra, despite her age and discomfort, was sporting enough to climb the stage to receive the award from Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
Last year, Zohra was seen in films “Cheeni Kum” and “Saawariya”. In her career spanning almost eight decades, she has acted in a number of Bollywood and Hollywood films.
On Dikshit’s request, the actress recited a poem in her typical style complete with graceful actions. She received a standing ovation from the audience.
“Almost 70 percent of the world’s work is done by girls and women and they have only 0.01 percent of the world’s assets. Isn’t that a shame?” Dikshit said and added that people must respect a girl child.
UNPF goodwill ambassador actress Lara Dutta, and pop singer Suneeta Rao, who is spokesperson of the ‘Laadli’ campaign were present.
“I joined UNPF in 2000 when I was all of 21 and crowned the Miss Universe. At that time, I didn’t really know what I would have to do as the goodwill ambassador, but today I really admire the work being done by the organisation.
“We need to fight the injustice against girls and ensure that we don’t allow children to be killed or harassed just because they are girls,” said Lara.
Veteran actresses Tanuja and Sushma Seth were also seen.
A group of children of an NGO, Vidya, performed their version of the title track of Aamir Khan’s “Taare Zameen Par” to kickstart the show followed by a performance by theatre actress Lushin Dubey. Odissi exponent Mallika Sarabhai also performed.
- Zohra Sehgal: Indian entertainment's 'laadli' turns 100 (With Image) - Apr 26, 2012
- Zohra Sehgal still child like: Amitabh - Apr 26, 2012
- Zohra 100 years young, says Salman Rushdie - Apr 27, 2012
- Zohra Segal, Ramesh Sippy to get lifetime honours - May 29, 2012
- Lack of innocence in Hindi films worries Juhi (Movie Snippets) - Jul 19, 2012
- At 97, Zohra Segal is too ill to celebrate - Jan 25, 2010
- Zohra Sehgal celebrates her century with 'official biography' (With Image) - Apr 28, 2012
- Zohra Segal an egotist but firm mother: Daughter - May 20, 2012
- '3 Idiots' triumphs at first edition of GIMA awards - Nov 11, 2010
- I love dancing: John Abraham (Movie Snippets) - Nov 19, 2011
- Balki to shoot his next with Big B at year-end (Movie Snippets) (With Images) - Jun 03, 2012
- Delhi government honours Amjad Ali Khan, Ruskin Bond, Girija Devi - Jun 22, 2012
- Kajol On Winning The Padma Shri - Jan 27, 2011
- Actress Angelina Jolie to write and direct Bosnian War film - Aug 26, 2010
- Mahesh Bhupathi has fingers crossed for a daughter - Dec 13, 2011