After gala start, India take on Germany in Kabaddi World CupNovember 2nd, 2011 - 4:10 pm ICT by IANS
Bathinda (Punjab), Nov 2 (IANS) After a glittering opening to the second edition of the World Cup Kabaddi in this southwest Punjab town Tuesday evening, hosts India will take on Germany on the opening day of the tournament Wednesday.
The match between the India and Germany will be played at the sports stadium in Faridkot town, 270km from Chandigarh, Punjab sports director Pargat Singh said.
The opening match of the tournament will be between Australia and Nepal followed by the India match. Canada and Afghanistan will fight it out in the third match of the day.
Fourteen teams, including hosts India and traditional rivals Pakistan are participating in the event. The other teams are Australia, Germany, Canada, Nepal, Afghanistan, Norway, Spain, Italy, Argentina, Britain, the United States and Sri Lanka.
The event got off to an elaborate start Tuesday evening at the Bathinda sports stadium with leading Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan performing at the opening ceremony.
Leading singer Sukhwinder Singh, several Punjabi artists and performers regaled the audience at the opening ceremony. The ceremony also saw a laser show and fireworks on the lines of the Commonwealth Games (CWG) in New Delhi last year.
Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, his son and deputy Sukhbir Singh Badal, were present along with other dignitaries.
The Kabaddi matches will be played at 15 different venues across Punjab, including in rural areas, till Nov 20.
India had won the inaugural World Cup Kabaddi tournament, beating arch rivals Pakistan, last year.
- World Kabaddi cup begins in Punjab Nov 1 - Oct 27, 2011
- Women's teams to feature in kabaddi World Cup - Jul 17, 2011
- The 'desi' boys of Punjab's kabaddi world cup - Nov 08, 2011
- Twelve nations to vie for Rs.2 crore World Kabaddi Cup - Jun 19, 2011
- India win men, women world cup Kabaddi titles - Nov 21, 2011
- Punjab to host Kabaddi World Cup next month - Mar 17, 2010
- In times of F1, Punjab talked kabaddi - Nov 13, 2011
- World Cup kabaddi: India in semis - Nov 10, 2011
- US team banned from World Cup kabaddi - Nov 16, 2011
- Kabaddi World Cup begins in Punjab - Apr 04, 2010
- Doping taint hurts kabaddi anti-drug campaign - Nov 15, 2011
- Dope testing compulsory at Kabaddi World Cup - Mar 19, 2010
- India, Pakistan to meet in Kabaddi World Cup finals - Apr 11, 2010
- India, Canada teams to clash in Kabaddi finals - Nov 19, 2011
- India beat Pakistan to win Kabaddi World Cup 2010 (Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
Tags: arch rivals, bathinda, bollywood actor shah rukh khan, chief minister, commonwealth games, cwg, dignitaries, germany canada, glittering opening, inaugural world, kabaddi world cup, laser show, opening ceremony, parkash, punjab, shah rukh khan, sports director, sports stadium, sukhwinder singh, traditional rivals