After decades in Israel, Jews from Kerala come visitingJanuary 26th, 2012 - 1:42 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Jan 26 (IANS) Most of them left for Israel around 60 years ago from their Jewish settlement in Kerala for better prospects. But as this group of 21 visited the state, they expressed desire to spend their remaining lives here if permission is given.
“How peaceful and serene is Kerala,” said Orli Mizrahi, who was at the Lotus Parnasala, Santhigiri Ashram, on the city outskirts with her husband Toba Eliace and other members of the group late Wednesday.
“We wish to live the rest of our lives in Kerala if we manage to obtain official permission. We plan to approach the state and central governments for this,” Eliace said.
Seventyfive-year-old Izaya Ashtamker who led the group said they came to Santhigiri in a literal quest for peace and quiet.
Most of them had left from their Jewish settlement at Mattanchery in Kochi in 1954. They had an interaction with the Ashram delegates and revealed their intentions to return to their “motherland” permanently.
Penina Hai said the dream of revisiting this land of their birth which was etched into their memories had been a solace in the long years of war and fear.
The group sang a couple of lines from the national anthem and hummed a few old Malayalam numbers. Most of them were very comfortable to converse in Malayalam as they had completed primary education before leaving Kerala.
They are now in Kochi, where the last of handful of Jews reside, to re-live their childhood memories.
- NRI plans ayurveda medical college in UAE - Sep 10, 2010
- Benefits of economic growth should reach every segment of society: President Patil - Aug 13, 2010
- President to inaugurate Rs.30 crore prayer hall in Kerala - Aug 07, 2010
- Kerala Jews come to relive past, as present fades - Dec 02, 2010
- Muslims in Kerala celebrate Eid - Aug 31, 2011
- Malayalam IPTV channel launched for expatriates - May 11, 2011
- India's first tourist police station opens in Kochi - Mar 01, 2010
- India's first biennale in Kochi will provide artists a platform (With Image) - Apr 30, 2011
- Malayalam music maestro Johnson no more - Aug 19, 2011
- India gets its second international art fair - Apr 27, 2011
- Income tax raids on Mammooty, Mohanlal (Third Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- Kerala government faces ire over 'murder' of Bihari youth - Aug 18, 2012
- Kamal Haasan Likely To Have A Second Innings In The Malayalam Film World With Gokulam Films - Jan 18, 2011
- Actress Kavya's marriage annulled - May 30, 2011
- Film star-turned-minister bats for Mohanlal - Jul 22, 2011
Tags: ashram, better prospects, central governments, childhood memories, city outskirts, couple of lines, delegates, handful, interaction, jewish settlement, jews, kochi, lotus, malayalam, mizrahi, motherland, national anthem, primary education, rest of our lives, solace