After critics, audiences reject ‘Love Guru’June 23rd, 2008 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
New York, June 23 (IANS) After being panned by movie critics for its crudity, Mike Myers’ controversial comedy “The Love Guru” has been rejected by audiences too - it has managed to rake in just $14 million at the box office over its opening weekend in the US and Canada. The film has been beaten by another new comedy, ‘Get Smart”, which did an estimated $39.2 million in weekend ticket sales. Critics disapproved of the Steve Carell starrer too for its stale jokes, but viewers seem to have preferred that over the “potty and stinky” jokes of “Love Guru”.
In a serious embarrassment to Myers, whose “Austin Powers” movies were hugely successful, the “Love Guru” was placed fourth this week on the box office listings. “Kung Fu Panda” from Paramount and DreamWorks Animation was placed No. 2 ($21.7 million in ticket sales) in its second weekend, and “The Incredible Hulk” from Marvel and Universal Pictures took the third spot ($21.6million).
A weak opening for “The Love Guru” was a setback for Paramount too, which has otherwise dominated the spring-summer box office with hits like “Iron Man” and “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull”.
Indian American M. Night Shyamalan’s spooky thriller “The Happening” took in another $10 million over the weekend, raising its total revenue so far to about $50.3 million.
Before its release, “The Love Guru”, about the antics of India-reared American guru named Pitka, kicked up a controversy with some Hindu leaders suspecting that it “lampooned “Hinduism.
But after watching the film, both Indian American media and Hindu organisations such as Iskcon and Hindu American Foundation found nothing offensive in it and asked Hindus to view it with a “pinch of salt and a good sense of humour”.
- Hindus, who protested "Love Guru", congratulate Mike Myers on marriage - Mar 07, 2011
- Harry Potter finale makes history with four opening records - Jul 18, 2011
- 'The Love Guru' panned by US critics for crudity - Jun 21, 2008
- 'Rio' tops Easter weekend box-office earnings - Apr 25, 2011
- 'Hangover Part II' tops US box office - May 30, 2011
- 'Monsters vs. Aliens' tops North America weekend box office - Mar 30, 2009
- Anchorman sequel plan axed - May 01, 2010
- Will Ferrell to enter The Office along the lines of Steve Carell - Jan 27, 2011
- 'Austin Powers' ruined 'James Bond': Craig - Aug 31, 2012
- 'Inception' tops North American box office - Jul 19, 2010
- Ben Affleck's 'The Town' tops weekend box office with $23.8m - Sep 20, 2010
- The top 10 highest grossing films - Nov 15, 2010
- Little Fockers Is The Real Winner During Christmas! - Dec 27, 2010
- Expendables Tops the Box Office for two weeks straight - Aug 23, 2010
- Hindus urge Canadian film organisations to not screen "The Love Guru" - May 16, 2008