After campus clashes, three students in police custodyNovember 7th, 2008 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 7 (IANS) A district court in West Bengal Friday remanded three engineering students in 10 days of police custody, a day after they were arrested along with four others for violent clashes over elections to the students union.The seven students of Bengal Engineering and Science University (BESU) at Shibpur in Howrah district adjoining Kolkata were arrested after a clash between two student groups over upcoming elections.
“Three students who beat up fellow students at BESU Thursday have been remanded in 10 days’ police custody. The remaining four students, who destroyed college property and engaged in a minor scuffle, have been released on bail Friday,” according to the court verdict.
Members of the Students Federation Of India (SFI), which is affiliated to the state’s ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M), and the Independent Consolidation (IC) had fought a pitched battle Thursday.
Police used batons to disperse the students and the Rapid Action Force (RAF) was called in to control the situation, said district Superintendent of Police N.K. Singh.
- Four members of Trinamool's student wing held - Dec 17, 2010
- Seven engineering students arrested in West Bengal - Nov 06, 2008
- Bengal students ragged on Facebook - Aug 03, 2011
- Six Bengal students punished over Facebook ragging - Aug 04, 2011
- Campus violence should stop: Buddhadeb - Dec 19, 2010
- GNLA chief sent to 14 days judicial custody - Aug 26, 2012
- Suspected Maoists sent to police custody in Bengal - Feb 01, 2011
- Over 20 injured in Bengal clash over INTUC leader's killing - Aug 15, 2012
- Lalgarh carnage: Police custody for 2 CPI-M leaders - Feb 15, 2011
- Bengal to plan for preventing natural calamities - May 26, 2011
- Man arrested for publicly questioning Mamata - Aug 11, 2012
- Police custody for Bengal Maoist - Sep 28, 2010
- GNLA chief's judicial custody extended by 14 days - Sep 07, 2012
- Student's clash: Congress calls strike in Tripura - May 22, 2011
- Extortionist held in West Bengal - Dec 21, 2010