After 96 hours, child’s body recovered from Agra (Lead)October 13th, 2008 - 1:56 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Oct 13 (IANS) The slender hope that he may miraculously survive the ordeal snapped Monday when rescue workers finally reached two-year-old Sonu, who had been trapped in a narrow 70 ft pit for four days, but came out with his lifeless body.Sonu’s body was recovered by rescue workers more than 96 hours after he fell into an open borewell while playing near his home in in Leharkapura village near Agra at 10 a.m. Thursday.
“Sonu’s dead body has been recovered from the deep borewell,” Senior Superintendent of Police Raghuvir Lal told IANS.
The body is being taken to S.N. Medical College in Agra for a postmortem.
An army rescue team had dug a horizontal tunnel to reach him. Mounds of earth caved in thrice, delaying the operation work by at least 24 hours.
The child’s anxious mother had not been eating properly for the past few days and fainted Sunday. She was given glucose and her health is being closely monitored, an official said.
Villagers and officials were doubtful about Sonu’s survival since Saturday even though oxygen was being pumped into the borewell as there was no sign of life.
“For all you know it would require supernatural powers to survive in that death hole,” an official had said Sunday.
Villagers had gathered at the site, conducting special prayers for days and hoping against hope for a miracle.
- After 96 hours, two-year-old's body recovered from borewell (Second Lead) - Oct 13, 2008
- After 96 hours, child's body recovered from Agra borewell - Oct 13, 2008
- Child in borewell: rescue work on even after 80 hours - Oct 12, 2008
- Other incidents of toddlers being rescued - Jun 23, 2012
- Hopes dim for child trapped in borewell, mother alleges lax rescue work (Second Lead) - Oct 10, 2008
- With hopes of a miracle, efforts on to rescue child (Lead) - Oct 11, 2008
- Memorial for Agra boy who died after falling into borewell - Oct 15, 2008
- Two-year-old toddler falls into borewell in Andhra - Jan 18, 2010
- After 50 hours, hopes dim for child stuck in borewell - Oct 11, 2008
- Teenager falls into Bengal well (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Little boy falls into well near Agra - Oct 09, 2008
- Girl remains trapped for over 60 hours in borewell - Jun 23, 2012
- Efforts fail to rescue toddler from Andhra borewell (Lead) - Jan 18, 2010
- Teenager falls into well in West Bengal - Jun 24, 2012
- Mahi is dead; end came on first or second day, doctors say (Second Lead) - Jun 24, 2012