After 14-years, court records aged mother’s statementJuly 25th, 2008 - 8:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 25 (IANS) After a long wait of 14 years, a city court here finally recorded 91-year-old Amar Kaur’s statement in a case probing the disappearance of her son and son-in-law who went missing from police custody in 1994. While recording her statement before Special Judge Vinod Goel, Kaur narrated how her family had to move from pillar to post in search of the two.
The two went missing from the custody of Ludhiana police along with driver Mukhtiyar Singh after being detained between Feb 23 and March 3, 1994. And they never returned home.
The two Ludhiana-based businessmen were allegedly picked up at the behest of the then senior superintendent of police (SSP) Sumedh Singh Saini to settle a personal dispute. Saini is now director (vigilance) in Punjab.
Kaur came to the court in a wheel chair and alleged that Saini was responsible for the incident.
However, Kaur’s testimony remained inconclusive and will continue Aug 14, the next date of hearing.
On Dec 6, 2006, the court framed charges of criminal conspiracy and wrongful confinement against Saini and other police officers Sukh Mohinder Singh Sandhu, Paramjit Singh and Balbir Chand Tiwari.
They were accused of abduction, illegal detention and the disappearance of the two three men.
According to the prosecution, Vinod disappeared from the custody of Ludhiana Kotwali station along with his brother-in-law Ashok and their driver after being detained for over a week in 1994.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) registered the case on April 18, 1994 on the orders of the Punjab and Haryana High Court and filed a charge sheet in May 2000.
- 92-year-old widow fights son's killer - May 02, 2010
- 14 years on, aged mother's wait for justice continues - Jun 30, 2008
- Amarinder questions murder accused as Punjab vigilance chief - Mar 16, 2011
- CBI questions Punjab cop's silence when case was filed - Jan 08, 2010
- Sukhbir Badal demanded Rs.1 crore, says Punjab bureaucrat - Jan 17, 2012
- Apex court quashes order for CBI probe against Punjab officer (Second Lead) - Dec 07, 2011
- Apex court quashes order for CBI probe against Punjab officer - Dec 07, 2011
- Sikh group raps Badal regime in Bhullar case - Sep 29, 2011
- Punjab's elite-60 under HC lens over land dealings (Punjab Newsletter) - May 25, 2012
- Youth in police custody for kidnapping schoolgirl - Nov 05, 2011
- Suspected honour killing in Punjab - Jul 04, 2011
- Two more arrested in Rajasthan's multi-million rupee fraud - Feb 18, 2012
- Son arrested for killing father over property dispute - Jun 26, 2012
- Woman killed in Punjab for bearing daughters - Apr 17, 2012
- Three Punjab DGPs transferred - Mar 16, 2012