Afridi to return for hearing amid massive fanfareJune 5th, 2011 - 7:56 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, June 5 (IANS) Hundreds of Shahid Afridi’s fans have started to assemble at the Karachi airport to receive the former captain who returns home from London to resolve his bitter dispute with the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).
Afridi’s fans, together with local cricket organisers, were planning to take out a rally Sunday night in a bid to put pressure on the government to bring about sweeping changes in the PCB and reinstate Afridi as Pakistan’s One-day captain.
Afridi was sacked after the One-day series against the West Indies that Pakistan won 3-2. Afridi, who spearheaded Pakistan to the World Cup semifinals in March, spoke about differences within the team management after returning from the Caribbean. The PCB responded by sacking him as the captain.
Ten days later, Afridi lambasted the PCB for its “ill-treatment” towards him, after which the Board suspended his central contract. It also revoked all NOCs granted to Afridi, meaning that the all-rounder was stopped from featuring in the ongoing English Twenty20 event for Hampshire.
The Board has summoned Afridi to appear Wednesday before its three-man disciplinary committee in Lahore. There are indications that Afridi might boycott the hearing. But a formal announcement will only be made by the player when he addresses a press conference at the Karachi Press Club Monday.
All arrangements have been made to give Afridi a tumultuous welcome on his arrival in Karachi. His fans have erected giant hoardings in praise of the all-rounder.
- Afridi to get NOC to play for Hampshire - Jun 15, 2011
- PCB may stop Afridi from playing in SLPL - Jun 23, 2011
- Afridi eager to return to cricket - Jun 22, 2011
- Court defers hearing on Afridi's case against PCB - Jun 09, 2011
- PCB slaps Afridi with hefty fine but grants NOC - Jun 16, 2011
- Afridi will not appear before PCB disciplinary committee - Jun 06, 2011
- PCB takes stern action against Afridi - May 31, 2011
- Miffed Afridi decides to retire, PCB comes under pressure - May 31, 2011
- Afridi can't be made captain again: Butt - Jul 08, 2011
- Afridi takes PCB to court for suspending him - Jun 07, 2011
- Afridi urges Zardari to save Pakistani cricket - Jun 01, 2011
- Afridi cites humiliation, declines to play under 'this PCB' - May 31, 2011
- PCB summons coach Waqar for probe in team rift - May 30, 2011
- PCB issues notice to Afridi over his public remarks - May 09, 2011
- Misbah not desperate to head Pakistan's ODI squad - May 30, 2011
Tags: bitter dispute, caribbean, disciplinary committee, fanfare, formal announcement, hoardings, ill treatment, karachi airport, lahore, nocs, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, rally, rounder, shahid afridi, sweeping changes, team management, tumultuous welcome, west indies, world cup semifinals