Africa has highest rate of air accidentsMay 1st, 2008 - 12:41 pm ICT by admin
Abuja (Nigeria), May 1 (DPA) Africa has the highest rate of air accidents in the world, International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) president Roberto Kobeh has said. However, Kobeh, who made the declaration when he visited Nigerian President Umaru Yar’Adua Wednesday, commended the current reforms in the Nigerian aviation sector.
He said the result of the ICAO’s last audit of Nigeria’s aviation industry in October was satisfactory and added that the ICAO would work with Nigeria to improve air safety on the continent.
Yar’Adua said Nigeria has made efforts to ensure airport security and air safety.
An aircraft that went missing in Nigeria March 15 with its three crew members has yet to be found. That came months after the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority celebrated an accident-free year in 2007.
Before then, Nigeria’s indigenous airlines had three major air crashes between 2005 and 2006 which killed over 300 people.
- President condoles death of Nigerian president - May 06, 2010
- Nigeria's absentee president returns home - Feb 25, 2010
- Nigerian court asks cabinet to decide ill president's future - Jan 22, 2010
- Nigerian President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua's Health In Huge Speculation - Jan 11, 2010
- U.S.-Nigeria Binational Commission to be inaugurated in April - Apr 06, 2010
- Ban Ki-moon saddened over death of Nigerian President Yar'Adua - May 07, 2010
- Nigerian President Yar'Adua dead - May 06, 2010
- Nigerian court adjourns cases on absentee president (Lead) - Jan 14, 2010
- Nigerian courts to hear cases on absentee president - Jan 14, 2010
- Nigerian President Umaru Yar'Adua Dies At 58 - May 06, 2010
- Nigeria was in total 'confusion' when President was in "semi-comatose state": Wikileaks - Dec 09, 2010
- Almost 400 people buried in mass grave after Nigeria massacre - Mar 09, 2010
- Human Rights Watch urges Nigeria's new president to take concrete steps to address problems - May 30, 2011
- Indian firm didn't own plane that crashed in Nigeria - Jun 06, 2012
- Government to set up aviation university: Vayalar Ravi - Oct 17, 2011