Afghanistan to get Indian help in upholding human rights (Lead)May 6th, 2011 - 8:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 6 (IANS) India’s apex human rights body, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), will help Afghanistan in promoting human rights, prevent trafficking of women and children and investigate rights abuses.
NHRC Friday signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP-Kabul) under the National Institutions Building Project (NIBP) for capacity development in Afghanistan, a statement said.
“Under the MoU, NHRC will support the AIHRC in policy and strategy development, project management, financial management, procurement and human resource management as well as in technical areas,” the statement said.
The NHRC will help develop a legislative and institutional framework for promotion and protection of human rights of the vulnerable sections of the society, which includes women, children and persons with disabilities.
It will also help develop systems and procedures for a complaints-handling mechanism, develop manuals and literature for promotion of human rights awareness and develop a network with advocacy groups, human rights associations, NGOs and civil society.
Further, it will help develop a system to prevent trafficking of women and children and an effective system to monitor and investigate human rights abuses.
- NHRC to support Afghanistan rights efforts - May 06, 2011
- India to help Afghanistan develop tourism - May 27, 2011
- India, Afghanistan ink culture pact - May 27, 2011
- India, Russia sign 29 agreements from defence to trade - Dec 22, 2010
- India to work with UN for women migrants - Aug 27, 2010
- Pakistan, France ink pact to promote science - Dec 22, 2011
- States should make human rights commissions more effective: NHRC - Aug 17, 2010
- ECI, CEC of Russian Federation to sign MoU in field of elections tomorrow - Dec 20, 2010
- NHRC concerned over crime against women in Assam - May 29, 2012
- Actress joins fight against people trafficking - Aug 02, 2012
- AMU, Colombo varsity sign MoU - Apr 02, 2011
- Media should highlight rights violations: NHRC (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Meghalaya's social activists condemn Hazare's arrest - Aug 17, 2011
- India to support Afghanistan in building media capacities - May 24, 2011
- Youths must be sensitised about environment: President - May 30, 2012
Tags: advocacy groups, development project management, effective system, human resource management, human rights abuses, human rights awareness, human rights commission, independent human rights, institutional framework, memorandum of understanding, national human rights commission, national institutions, nhrc, nibp, persons with disabilities, trafficking of women, trafficking of women and children, united nations development, united nations development programme, vulnerable sections