Afghanistan security situation may worsen: US military chiefOctober 10th, 2008 - 8:11 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 10 (DPA) The chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff in Afghanistan, Admiral Mike Mullen, has said the situation in the country will worsen, according to reports Friday.In light of the poor economic situation and an intensifying Taliban insurgency, he told US media: “I would anticipate next year would be a tougher year.”
“The overall development is not going in the right direction,” he said, according to the New York Times.
Mullen also singled out the booming heroin smuggling in Afghanistan, as well as the opposition by tribal leaders against the central government in Kabul. There were indications, he said, that the status and trends on the two issues “are going to continue”.
On Thursday, a confidential US intelligent report emerged which painted an extremely gloomy picture of the situation in Afghanistan, a country in a “downward spiral”.
It cast serious doubts on the ability of the Afghan government to curb the growing influence of the Taliban.
Increased cooperation between Al Qaeda militants and the Taliban and an expanding network of militant groups, made the situation extremely complicated, the study said.
- Mullen sticks to his guns on ISI links with terror group - Sep 29, 2011
- US rules out ending drone strikes in Pakistan - Apr 21, 2011
- Pak Army will 'very possibly' succeed in tackling Taliban havens in country: Mullen - Dec 19, 2010
- Pakistani army discuss security at emergency meet - Sep 25, 2011
- Gilani discusses Pakistan-US ties with politicians - Sep 25, 2011
- Mike Mullen, Holbrooke on way to India - Jul 20, 2010
- US accuses Pakistan of supporting Haqqani network - Sep 23, 2011
- US wants Pak action against Al-Qaeda-linked terrorists in North Waziristan - Dec 15, 2010
- ISI has ties with Haqqani network: US commander - Apr 21, 2011
- Osama ordered suicide squads against Obama, Nato commander - May 04, 2012
- Mullen arrives in Islamabad to iron out US-Pak differences - Apr 20, 2011
- Gilani, Zardari discuss security situation - Sep 28, 2011
- Zardari, top US commander meet - Jun 26, 2010
- US gives up lobbying 'defiant' Pak for action against Haqqani network in Wazirastan - Aug 13, 2010
- US general meets Kayani, discusses Haqqani network - Sep 24, 2011