Afghanistan, Pakistan pledge to build better relationsOctober 31st, 2008 - 12:14 am ICT by IANS
Ankara, Oct 30 (DPA) Pakistan and Afghanistan leaders Thursday reiterated their pledges to cooperate towards promoting peace, security, stability and economic development in the region.Meeting in Istanbul with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Pakistan Prime Minister Syed Gilani and Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai vowed to continue cooperation in a number of fields and welcomed talks to promote peace in the two countries.
“Gilani and Karzai expressed satisfaction on contacts and cooperation between the two brotherly countries and they have agreed to continue with their dialogue and to further enhance cooperation in all fields with a view to achieving stability and promoting prosperity of their peoples,” said a statement released after the meeting held on the sidelines of an economic forum in Istanbul.
The neighbours also agreed to launch joint economic development projects in order to promote development and cooperation.
The three leaders also said they would try to hold another trilateral summit at the earliest convenience.
Relations between the two countries have been tense with Afghan and Western complaints that Pakistan has not done enough to stop extremists in Pakistan and also its recent negotiations with Taliban militants.
- Turkey offers to dramatically increase sale of military hardware to Pak - Dec 08, 2010
- Pakistan to work with neighbours for peace: Zardari - Nov 02, 2011
- Pakistan to train Afghan Army - Nov 04, 2011
- Abu Dhabi prince meets Turkish leaders - Feb 29, 2012
- Islamabad hosts trilateral summit (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- It was cordial meeting with Karzai: Pakistan - Nov 13, 2011
- India discusses upping ties with Canada, Turkey - Mar 28, 2012
- UEFA congress begins in Istanbul - Mar 22, 2012
- 13 die in Turkish prison fire - Jun 17, 2012
- Krishna heading to Istanbul for Afghan conference - Oct 31, 2011
- An Islamabad-Istanbul train that will traverse 6,500 km - Apr 18, 2011
- Pakistan to give military training to Afghan army - Nov 04, 2011
- Turkey, Kyrgyzstan to lift visa restrictions - Apr 27, 2011
- Israeli government the problem, not the people: Turkish PM - Oct 03, 2011
- Ansari to go to Turkey Monday, focus on trade - Oct 08, 2011