Afghanistan calls for support to strengthen its forcesMarch 27th, 2008 - 10:50 pm ICT by admin
Kabul, March 27 (Xinhua) Afghanistan Thursday called on the international community to help it strengthen it security forces to take over the country’s security. “We are asking the international community and everybody to accelerate the growth of Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) both in quality and quantity,” Defence Minister Abdul Rahim Wardak told reporters at a videoconference arranged by Brussels ahead of NATO summit.
“We believe the only way to secure Afghanistan is to enable the Afghans themselves,” Wardak emphasized.
He said the Afghan forces still don’t have the necessary equipment to lead the military operations against militants in the country.
“We still need to rely on NATO and the coalition forces for air support, fire support and logistic support,” the minister noted.
He made these remarks one week ahead of NATO summit in Bucharest where Afghanistan issue would be discussed and the alliance would issue a statement in support of the military pact in Afghanistan.
Replying a question on the present strength of the country national army, the defence minister said they have some 80,000 troops, which is too low. “We want to have more troops,” he added.
- Pakistan must not allow terrorists to use it: Panetta - Jun 07, 2012
- Pakistan must not allow terrorists to use its territory: Panetta (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Afghanistan, US sign deal on night raids - Apr 09, 2012
- China vows closer military ties with Afghanistan - Jul 28, 2012
- NATO hands over control of province to Afghan troops - Jul 18, 2011
- US hands over key prison to Afghanistan - Sep 10, 2012
- India promises to continue training Afghan security forces (Lead) (With images) - Jun 01, 2011
- Reducing Afghan forces can lead to catastrophe: Minister - Feb 19, 2012
- US to end Afghan combat operations in 2013 - Feb 03, 2012
- US suspends NATO supply talks with Pakistan - Jun 12, 2012
- India commits to capacity-building of Afghan armed forces (With images) - Jun 01, 2011
- Afghan defence minister to visit India from Wednesday - May 31, 2011
- Afghanistan seeks early security handover: Karzai - Mar 16, 2012
- Al Qaeda may return after Afghan pullout, British PM warned - Aug 05, 2012
- Airstrikes on Pakistani troops unintended: NATO chief - Nov 27, 2011