Afghan minister’s brother abducted in PakistanOctober 31st, 2008 - 10:44 pm ICT by IANS
Peshawar, Oct 31 (DPA) Unidentified gunmen Friday abducted Afghan Finance Minister Anwarul Haq Ahadi’s brother in Pakistan’s North Western Frontier Province, his family said.They said Ziaul Haq Ahdi was on his way home after Friday prayers at a mosque in the Hayatabag neighbourhood of Peshawar when four assailants riding a vehicle kidnapped him at the gunpoint.
“We were informed about the incident by witnesses,” his elder brother Israrul Haq said.
Israrul Haq has a permanent residence in Peshawar while his younger brother Ziaul Haq was visiting from Afghanistan.
No one has accepted the responsibility of the kidnapping, which came five weeks after the Afghan ambassador-designate to Pakistan, Abdul Khaleq Farahi, was abducted by armed men from the same area. His driver was killed by the attackers during the action.
The envoy, who was appointed as the Consul General in Peshawar in 2002 and was still waiting to assume charge of his new office in Islamabad, remains in captivity.
Peshawar border the country’s ungoverned tribal area where Taliban and Al Qaeda fighters are believed to have safe-havens.
- Abducted Afghan envoy Farahi released after two years - Nov 14, 2010
- Kidnappers of Afghan Ambassador to Pak break silence after a year-and-a-half - May 03, 2010
- Iranian diplomat kidnapped in Pakistan - Nov 13, 2008
- Pakistan says it's making all efforts to recover kidnapped diplomat - Sep 23, 2008
- Abducted Afghan diplomat's family urges speedy rescue efforts - Nov 10, 2008
- Kidnapped Iranian, Afghan diplomats being kept beyond Pak provincial police jurisdiction - Dec 25, 2008
- Pak Police to set up special zones to safeguard diplomats in Peshawar - Nov 19, 2008
- Afghan government sends team to Pakistan over envoy's kidnapping - Sep 23, 2008
- Kidnapped Afghan envoy recovered in Pakistan - Sep 30, 2008
- Pak govt. should think before inking Afghan trade agreement: PML (N) - Aug 09, 2010
- Afghan ambassador-designate kidnapped in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 22, 2008
- Pak-Afghan Transit Trade Agreement formally signed by both countries - Oct 29, 2010
- Ten schoolchildren kidnapped in Pak's Kurram region freed following negotiations - Apr 02, 2011
- Afghan envoy abducted in Peshawar - Sep 22, 2008
- Afghan envoy kidnapped in Pakistan - Sep 22, 2008