Afghan hound gets Supreme Court nod for dog show participationFebruary 3rd, 2009 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 3 (IANS) Less than a fortnight after the Supreme Court barred Mumbai’s civic body from randomly killing street dogs, an Afghan hound Tuesday secured the apex court’s nod for participating in a series of fashion parades of canines here, from which the Madras High Court had barred it.A bench of Chief Justice K.G. Balakrishnan allowed Afghan hound Karry Khusia, also known as Eric and belonging to Banglore couple K.S. Nagraj Shetty and N. Kalpana Shetty, to participate in the forthcoming dog shows being organised by Kennel Club of India Feb 8-22 in New Delhi and Gurgaon.
The bench, which also included Justice P. Satahsivam and Justice J.M. Panchal, ruled in Eric’s favour by setting aside a Madras High Court order, which in turn endorsed that of a Chennai civil judge who had stopped the Banglore couple from entering the dog in the shows.
The Chennai civil judge had acted on a lawsuit by R. Gopinath, who had alleged the Shettys were fielding the dog on the basis of false and forged certificates about its breed and were also flouting the Kennel Club of India’s rules.
In their petition in the apex court, the Shettys said Gopinath managed to get Eric out of the dog shows at a time when it was on a winning spree while participating in different shows conducted by the club November-December last year.
Like on an earlier occasion, when a battery of legal luminaries appeared before the apex court for the right to life of the Mumbai street dogs, this time around, too, former additional solicitor general Mukul Rohtagi appeared for Eric, whose petition was vetted and approved by senior counsel K.K. Venugopal.
- Over 400 dogs participate in Ludhiana's dog show - Nov 29, 2010
- Over 300 dogs participate in Amritsar show - Dec 20, 2010
- Apex court takes over Rajiv assassins' mercy plea - May 01, 2012
- Apex court takes over Rajiv assassins' mercy pleas (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- New apex court bench to hear 2G case (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- 2G: Apex court examines review petitions - Apr 03, 2012
- Supreme Court to hear Rajiv killers' plea Oct 19 - Oct 11, 2011
- Supreme Court rejects plea on army chief's age - Jan 20, 2012
- Supreme Court to hear Rajiv killers plea Oct 19 - Oct 10, 2011
- Supreme Court stays counsel's suspension - Dec 15, 2010
- Apex court adjourns hearing in Jayalalithaa graft case - Sep 06, 2011
- SC restrains RBI on approval to foreign law firms (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Supreme Court bench again avoids Vedanta hearing - Jan 21, 2011
- Apex court dismisses lawyer's petition in Vodafone case (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Apex court hints at lapses in admissions quota in varsities - Jul 05, 2011