Afghan envoy kidnapped in PakistanSeptember 22nd, 2008 - 10:26 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 22 (IANS) Afghanistan’s Consulate General to Pakistan, Abdul Khaliq Farahi, was kidnapped Monday evening by gunmen disguised as begggars who seized him in the country’s volatile tribal region after killing his driver, the police said.A spokesman for the Afghan embassy here confirmed the abduction, saying they were in touch with the police in Peshawar as well as other relevant authorities.
The Consulate General, who was recently designated as ambassador to Pakistan, was stopped by gunmen when he was going home from his office.
The police said the gunmen, dressed like beggars, stopped the vehicle on a bridge that connects Peshawar city with the posh Hayatabad area where Farahi lives.
They asked the ambassador to shift into their vehicle. When the driver and guard resisted, the kidnappers shot dead the driver.
A police official said Farahi’s guard was also kidnapped but a source in the Afghan embassy denied this. The embassy official refused to identify himself and blamed the Taliban and Al Qaeda for the daring abduction.
Farahi, scheduled to take over as ambassador in Islamabad next week, had been giving strong statements against the Taliban.
Last week, he told reporters that the Taliban in Pakistan were damaging Afghan interests because of which Afghanistan had to keep the NATO forces.
Farahi belong to Nangrahar province in Afghanistan, which is Pashtu speaking. He was appointed Consulate General in Peshawar soon after Hamid Karzai took over as president in 2002.
Presently he was staying alone in Pakistan while his family lived in the US.
The Pakistan foreign office strongly condemned the kidnapping. It said Pakistan was taking all necessary measures to ensure his safe and early release.
- Abducted Afghan envoy Farahi released after two years - Nov 14, 2010
- Kidnapped Afghan envoy recovered in Pakistan - Sep 30, 2008
- Kidnappers of Afghan Ambassador to Pak break silence after a year-and-a-half - May 03, 2010
- Kidnapped Iranian, Afghan diplomats being kept beyond Pak provincial police jurisdiction - Dec 25, 2008
- Iranian diplomat in Pakistan kidnapped, guard killed - Nov 13, 2008
- Afghan ambassador-designate kidnapped in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 22, 2008
- Abducted Afghan envoy freed in Peshawar - Sep 30, 2008
- Pak Police to set up special zones to safeguard diplomats in Peshawar - Nov 19, 2008
- Pakistan says it's making all efforts to recover kidnapped diplomat - Sep 23, 2008
- Iranian diplomat kidnapped in Pakistan - Nov 13, 2008
- Afghan government sends team to Pakistan over envoy's kidnapping - Sep 23, 2008
- Afghan envoy abducted in Peshawar - Sep 22, 2008
- Afghan consul general kidnapped in Pakistan - Sep 22, 2008
- Abducted Swiss couple found in Pakistan (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Pak police claims kidnappers of Iranian, Afghan envoy arrested - Dec 24, 2008