AFC Challenge Cup: India set for Philippines ChallengeMarch 10th, 2012 - 10:55 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, March 10 (IANS) India national football team head coach Savio Medeira feels that Sunday’s encounter against Philippines in the AFC Challenge Cup will be a difficult one. The Philippines, like India lost, their first match in the tournament and would be seeking redemption.
Savio said the team would do their best to get a positive result and try not to squander chances. India had all the opportunities to take the lead and score goals in their first match against Tajikstan, but missed chances cost India the match as they lost 0-2.
“At times you don’t get the results which you strive for. But that won’t deter us to be committed for our future success. We will keep trying and give our 100 percent to get the result we all are striving for,” Savio quipped with confidence in his team.
“We had a spirited performance against Tajikistan. But we squandered some good chances to score in the first half. Hope things will improve in our next match,” added the Coach.
“We need to believe in ourselves and keep on playing good football, the result will come,” continued Savio.
Star striker and captain Sunil Chhetri, remained optimistic of staging a comeback and said: “It’s going to be another tough match but we are ready and we can pull off a great result on Sunday. We all will stay focused and do whatever is expected of us.”
Though some changes in the playing eleven looks imminent. Changes in the midfield and upfront would be on Savio’s mind. The midfield looked rusty in the match against Persians.
Meanwhile, the Philippines, who lost to DPR Korea and are a few places below India in the FIFA rankings, would be vary of the Indian challenge. They have never managed to beat India previously.
- SAFF Cup: India sans Sameer Naik in must-win match against Bhutan - Dec 04, 2011
- SAFF Cup: India need draw against Sri Lanka for semi-final berth - Dec 06, 2011
- Four new faces in India squad for Bayern Munich game - Dec 28, 2011
- AFC Challenge Cup: India enjoy psychological advantage against Tajikistan - Mar 08, 2012
- Sunil Chettri to lead India in AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 05, 2012
- India leave for AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 04, 2012
- Savio Mediera: India need to look forward - Mar 12, 2012
- Confident of a good show in AFC Challenge Cup: Medeira - Mar 07, 2012
- Climax was rested, not dropped: Savio - Feb 01, 2012
- AFC Challenge Cup: India end campaign with 0-4 loss to North Korea - Mar 13, 2012
- India gear up for international friendly against Malaysia - Nov 12, 2011
- Cramped schedule not helping players, says Medeira - Dec 07, 2011
- Chettri, Jeje to miss friendly against Zambia - Nov 28, 2011
- SAFF Cup: India coach rejects favourites tag - Dec 01, 2011
- Coach Medeira conveys home truths to AIFF - Jan 08, 2012
Tags: afc challenge cup, dpr korea, encounter, fifa rankings, head coach, imminent changes, indian challenge, kathmandu, medeira, midfield, national football team, persians, philippines, redemption, score goals, spirited performance, star striker, sunil, tajikstan, take the lead