Advani to turn 81 SaturdayNovember 6th, 2008 - 4:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 6 (IANS) The prime ministerial-candidate of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Lal Krishna Advani will turn 81 Saturday, but he’ll spend his birthday quietly at home with family.“He will be home. There are no celebrations or anything like that planned, but the whole family gets together for dinner,” Advani’s daughter Pratibha told IANS.
Party sources close to Advani said he was a simple person and does not appreciate much celebrations.
Respecting his privacy and choice, the party has also not planned anything for the leader.
“There are no celebrations from the party. Advaniji does not encourage such things. We’ll go to wish him but he generally likes to be with the family on his birthday,” BJP Vice President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi told IANS.
In spite of the fact that Advani is travelling day in and day out campaigning for the forthcoming assembly elections to six states in the country, he would not be touring on his birthday.
“No, he won’t be going anywhere. He likes to be at home whatever be the occasion - be it anniversary or birthday,” shared Pratibha.
Advani was born Nov 8, 1927 at Karachi, now in Pakistan. He joined Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh in 1942 at the young age of 15. He was soon to join active politics and joined Bharatiya Jan Sangh in 1951.
He has held various positions in the government since 1977, when he was Union Minister for Information & Broadcasting till 1979. He later became Home Minister in 1998 and was Deputy Prime Minister between 1999 and 2004.
- Advani to turn 81 Saturday, launch his own website (Lead) - Nov 06, 2008
- Advani turns 81 Saturday, to launch his website (Second Lead) - Nov 06, 2008
- Quiet birthday for Advani; President, PM send greetings (Lead) - Nov 08, 2009
- Quiet 82nd birthday for L.K. Advani - Nov 08, 2009
- Advani turns 84, recalls association with RSS - Nov 08, 2011
- BJP backs Ramdev's agitation - Aug 10, 2012
- Advani is emotive as Rajnath calls him PM material (Lead) - Nov 08, 2011
- PM should confront Bangladesh on infiltration: Advani - Jul 10, 2011
- Advani's yatra an attempt to fast-forward 2014 polls: Congress - Oct 10, 2011
- Embarrassed over Kushwaha, BJP targets Congress, BSP (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- BJP will do better than expected in UP: Naqvi - Mar 01, 2012
- Thackeray bats for Sushma Swaraj as PM, BJP says decision later (Second Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Advani to pass on baton to become BJP's mentor - Dec 18, 2009
- PM, BJP leaders greet Vajpayee on his 87th birthday - Dec 25, 2011
- Corruption, BSP 'misrule' main issues at BJP meet - Jun 02, 2011