Advani slams PM’s 100-day roadmap to fight terrorNovember 24th, 2008 - 2:08 pm ICT by IANS
Indore, Nov 24 (IANS) Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L.K. Advani Monday slammed Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s proposal for a task force to counter terrorism within a deadline of 100 days as “distressing” and demanded that the Prevention of Terrorism Act (POTA) be revived instead. “Manmohan Singh took over as prime minister in May 2004 and after so many days, he is talking about a 100-day roadmap,” Advani said while addressing a press conference here.
“This announcement of the prime minister is nothing but an acceptance of the UPA (United Progressive Alliance) government’s failure to tackle terrorism,” the BJP’s prime ministerial candidate said.
The prime minister had Sunday recommended a task force under National Security Adviser M.K. Narayanan to address “Leftwing extremism, terrorism and insurgency”.
Manmohan Singh put forth the proposal while addressing the director generals of police (DGPs) and inspector generals of police (IGPs) at their annual conference in New Delhi,
The task force under Narayanan, with suitable representation from central and state agencies, should draw a roadmap within 100 days to develop an integrated capability to address emerging challenges of Leftwing extremism, terrorism and insurgency, the prime minister said.
According to home ministry figures, the country has witnessed 64 bomb blasts in less than six months this year, which left more than 215 dead and over 900 injured.
- Advani says PM''s 100-day roadmap to fight terror distressing - Nov 24, 2008
- Create 'networked security architecture' to tackle new age terror: PM - Nov 23, 2008
- Advani slams Manmohan's counter-terror plan, calls for POTA (Lead) - Nov 24, 2008
- PM opens security meet, flags left-wing extremism - Apr 16, 2012
- Opposition attacks government on NCTC, PM reaches out (Afternoon Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Sadhvi, five other Malegaon accused in judicial custody till Dec 3 (Roundup, combining different series) - Nov 24, 2008
- Centre trying to trample on rights of states: BJP - May 07, 2012
- PM opens security meet, flags left-wing extremism (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- PM recommends anti-terror task force, gives 100-day deadline (Roundup) - Nov 23, 2008
- Assam plans new cells to tackle Maoists, fake currency - May 14, 2012
- Army being demonised in Kashmir: Advani - Nov 16, 2011
- India to discuss security challenges with state governments - Apr 13, 2012
- DGPS/IGPs conference to deliberate on major internal security issues - Sep 11, 2009
- Security situation satisfying: PM - Apr 21, 2011
- Opposition CMs lambast government for security overreach (Roundup) - Apr 16, 2012