Advani satisfied over agreement over Amarnath rowAugust 31st, 2008 - 10:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 31(IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L.K. Advani Sunday said he was satisfied over the agreement reached between Hindu agitators and the Jammu and Kashmir government over the bitter Amarnath land row.Advani said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had told him that government would not succumb to pressure from Kashmiri separatists.
“I feel satisfied (over the agreement),” he said on the sidelines of a BJP rally organised at the Ramlila Maidan here Sunday.
The BJP leader said he had written a letter to the prime minister that it was not a Hindu versus Muslim issue and that it was not a Jammu versus the Kashmir Valley issue.
“This was a surrender to the pressure from separatists and therefore the problem had arisen,” he said.
“He (the PM) stated firmly that under no circumstances will the government take the decision under pressure from separatists,” Advani said.
The agitation over the Amarnath land row in Jammu region ended early Sunday after an agreement was reached between a government panel and a conglomerate of Hindu groups, giving exclusive rights to the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) to use the 40 hectares of land at Baltal during the pilgrimage period.
- Jammu, Kashmir lock horns over Amarnath infrastructure - Aug 23, 2012
- Amarnath yatra too short, say religious groups - Feb 29, 2012
- No plans to construct motorable road to Amarnath shrine: Kashmir - Aug 19, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- More than 150,000 register for Amarnath pilgrimage - May 22, 2011
- Preparations for Amarnath pilgrimage begin - May 01, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage: First prayers offered, but not at shrine - Jun 15, 2011
- 'Amarnath yatra duration as per religious tradition' - Apr 15, 2012
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra: 300 Hindu activists detained in Jammu - Jun 03, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage to begin June 29 - Feb 18, 2011
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Over hundred thousand perform Amarnath Yatra in seven days - Jul 05, 2011
- Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 13, 2011