Advani meets top industrialists to discuss state of the economyNovember 20th, 2008 - 9:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 20 (IANS) Top industrialists and representatives of apex chambers Thursday met with Leader of the Opposition L.K. Advani to discuss the state of the Indian economy in the wake of current global slowdown, in what has raised eyebrows in both the political and industrial establishment.This was the first such meeting sought by Advani, the prime ministerial candidate for the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), and was attended by his party colleagues Jaswant Singh and Yashwant Sinha, both of whom handled the finance portfolios for the previous National Democratic Alliance (NDA) regime.
Some 15 industrialists, including Anil and Mukesh Ambani of the two Reliance groups, Sunil Mittal of Bharti group, Rahul Bajaj of Bajaj Auto, Subhash Chandra of Zee group and Sashi Ruia of the Essar group attended the meeting.
Also present were the presidents of the three apex chambers - K.V. Kamath of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), Sajjan Jindal of the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry (Assocham) and Rajeev Chandrasekhar of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (Ficci).
In a brief note for the meeting, Chandrasekhar sought to tell Advani that recent data on macroeconomic situation confirmed a slowing down of the Indian economy.
“While on the one hand industrial growth slumped to a measly 4.8 percent in September (against 7 percent in September 2007), on the other hand exports shrunk by 15 percent in October,” the Ficci president’s note said.
- Advani meets top industrialists to discuss state of the economy (Lead) - Nov 20, 2008
- Crisis in mind, PM urges India Inc to be sensitive - Mar 28, 2009
- BRICS targets $500 bn intra-group trade by 2015 - Mar 28, 2012
- FICCI to open office in Nepal - Dec 04, 2011
- Infosys founder's son weds TVS chief's daughter (Lead) - Jun 05, 2011
- India Inc says cheers to surprise interest rates cut (Second Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Infosys founder's son weds TVS chief's daughter - Jun 05, 2011
- FICCI Frames true meeting ground of minds: Karan Johar - Mar 12, 2012
- Industry hoping for implementation of rail projects - Feb 24, 2011
- FICCI calls for radical policy reforms in energy sector - May 07, 2012
- Singhania, Mittal take over top posts in ICC India - Mar 25, 2012
- 'Joint effort needed to eliminate fake goods' - Jun 13, 2012
- Global Investors Meet begins in Bangalore - Jun 03, 2010
- Chidambaram's efforts will help revive growth: FICCI - Aug 07, 2012
- Students take up fight against smuggling, counterfeiting - Apr 30, 2012