Advani dares UPA to hold Lok Sabha polls now (Second lead)September 14th, 2008 - 3:15 am ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Sep 14 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party’s prime ministerial candidate L. K. Advani late Saturday challenged the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government to dissolve Parliament and hold Lok Sabha elections immediately.”I throw challenge to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi to hold general elections now so that people can give their verdict,” Advani said at the party’s first ‘Vijay Sankalp (victory affirmation) rally here.
“Dissolve Lok Sabha. Announce elections. Why wait till May next year,” the opposition leader in Lok Sabha said.
Asserting that the people of India wanted to get rid the “corrupt” and “incompetent” government, Advani told the crowd that now was the time to let people decide who should govern the country, which he said had been brought to the brink by the government’s failure on all fronts.
“Let the electorate decide which party or alliance is better to rule the country. Let us test to find out who has the people’s mandate to form the next government. Let the people have a chance to compare the performance of our NDA government with that of the UPA government,” Advani said raising his voice during his 35-minute address in English and Hindi.
“In my six decades of political life, I have not come across a prime minister who could not take credit for any achievement as in the case of Manmohan Singh. The perception in the establishment is success belongs to Sonia Gandhi and failures to Manmohan Singh,” he added.
Holding the UPA government responsible for inflation, price rise, agrarian crisis, terrorism and a flawed Indo-US nuclear deal, the BJP leader called the cash-for-votes incident “a mega scam”.
“I am sorry to say that by this single act of misdemeanour, which can be dubbed mega scam, Manmohan Singh has forfeited any moral right to be a man of integrity and purity in public life,” Advani said.
Advani also lauded the people of Karnataka for having voted his party to power for the first time in the state and south India.
- PM calls Advani's remark disgraceful, Sonia agitated (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Aggressive Sonia spurs Congress, forces Advani to retract (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- MPs queue up to vote for vice president (Second Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- UPA record in corruption unbeatable: Advani - Feb 08, 2012
- Ahmed Patel was mastermind behind cash-for-vote scam: Gadkari - Nov 18, 2011
- Advani urges Pranab for simultaneous polls, fixed legislture terms - Aug 12, 2012
- BJP readies anti-Congress CD campaign (Uttar Pradesh Newsletter) - Sep 08, 2012
- Advani on 'weak' PM: Just calling a spade a spade (Roundup) - Oct 21, 2011
- Advani asks Prime Minister to face JPC probe or quit - Dec 22, 2010
- Sushma blames wrong UPA policies for price rise - Nov 20, 2011
- Advani keeps PM candidature option open (Lead) - Dec 03, 2011
- No question of PM stepping down: Sonia - Mar 07, 2012
- PM, Pranab and Sonia vote in presidential election - Jul 19, 2012
- PM, Sonia congratulate Pranab - Jul 22, 2012
- Advani sting: People upset with BJP too (Lead) - May 31, 2012