Advani calls on Dalai LamaMay 18th, 2011 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, May 18 (IANS) Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L.K. Advani Wednesday met Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama at his official palace in this Himachal Pradesh town, an official said here.
“Advani, his daughter Pratibha and Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal met the Dalai Lama. It was just a courtesy call,” a state government official told IANS.
He said the meeting, followed by lunch, lasted for over an hour.
The former deputy prime minister and his daughter reached Dharamsala Tuesday evening to witness the Indian Premier League (IPL) match between Kings XI Punjab and Royal Challengers Bangalore.
He had been invited by the Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association president Anurag Thakur, who is the BJP MP from Hamirpur.
Dhumal, his cabinet colleagues and other legislators, who were here to attend the winter session of the state assembly in December last year, had got an invite by the Tibetan parliament-in-exile.
The parliament-in-exile hosted a breakfast reception in their honour.
The Dalai Lama has lived in India since fleeing his homeland in 1959 after a Chinese army crackdown. His government-in-exile, which is not recognised by any country, is based here.
- Advani calls on Dalai Lama, discusses Tibet (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Dalai Lama a symbol of peace: Dhumal - Sep 02, 2011
- Dalai Lama is Lord Buddha of this era: Dhumal - Dec 09, 2010
- Indian foreign secretary meets Dalai Lama - Jun 07, 2012
- Next Tibetan Kalon Tripa to be announced Wednesday - Apr 27, 2011
- Tibetan exiles remember late Arunachal chief minister - May 26, 2011
- Tibetan diaspora to meet ahead of Dalai Lama's retirement - May 18, 2011
- Dalai Lama to retire, make way for elected leader (Second Lead) - Mar 10, 2011
- Dalai Lama likely to announce retirement - Mar 10, 2011
- Tibetan parliament-in-exile members take oath - May 30, 2011
- Dalai Lama heads to Delhi for medical examination - Jan 19, 2012
- Exiled Tibetans' grand congregation begins (Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Exiled Tibetan Parliament wants Dalai Lama to stay - Mar 15, 2011
- UN help sought over repression in Tibet - Apr 15, 2011
- Tibetan polls a money-spinning affair - Mar 15, 2011
Tags: anurag, association president, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, breakfast reception, cabinet colleagues, chinese army, cricket association, dalai lama, deputy prime minister, dharamsala, hamirpur, himachal pradesh, l k advani, pratibha, state assembly, thakur, tibetan parliament, tibetan spiritual leader, winter session