Adarsh scam: Ex-legislator, CBI lawyer nabbed for graftMarch 6th, 2012 - 6:12 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 6 (IANS) The CBI Tuesday arrested former Maharashtra Congress legislator Kanhaiyalal V. Gidwani, who is one of the promoters of the scam-hit Adarsh housing society, and a lawyer of the probe agency for corruption, official sources said here.
Gidwani was nabbed when he was allegedly attempting to bribe Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) lawyer Mandar Goswami. The lawyer was also taken into custody, according to an official who requested anonymity.
A former member of the Maharashtra legislative council, Gidwani and his family owned three flats in the controversial Adarsh housing society’s 31-storey building in Colaba in south Mumbai.
Last September, he faced a two-member commission probing the Adarsh society scam.
During his deposition, Gidwani said that he had undertaken the sole responsibility to get the additional floor space index for the Adarsh society building, using his political connections and clout.
The scam claimed the job of former chief minister Ashok Chavan after allegations surfaced of collusion between bureaucrats and politicians to corner flats in the building. The flats were originally meant for widows and heroes of the Kargil conflict.
- Adarsh scam: Ex-legislator, three arrested (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Why no action against officials in Adarsh scam: Court - Mar 12, 2012
- Four get bail in Adarsh housing scam (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Adarsh scam: Three arrested, more likely - Mar 20, 2012
- Adarsh scam: Shinde summoned as witness - May 02, 2011
- Adarsh panel questions Sushil Kumar Shinde - Jun 25, 2012
- Two accused apply for bail in Adarsh Society scam - Jun 04, 2012
- Seven get bail in Adarsh scam - May 29, 2012
- Adarsh building should be demolished: environment ministry - Jan 16, 2011
- CBI raids across country in Adarsh Society scam - Jan 30, 2011
- CBI grills three main accused in Adarsh Society scam - Feb 03, 2011
- CBI conducts raids in Adarsh scam - Mar 15, 2011
- Adarsh scam: Two detained for interrogation - Apr 03, 2012
- Seven get bail in Adarsh scam (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Adarsh scam: Judicial custody of nine accused extended - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: ashok, bureaucrats, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chavan, chief minister, clout, colaba, collusion, floor space, gidwani, housing society, kargil conflict, last september, legislative council, legislator, member commission, political connections, south mumbai, space index